K.'s Reviews > Winter

Winter by Marissa Meyer

Jul 31, 2013

bookshelves: 2015, deals-with-mental-illness, i-ship-it, disability-or-medical-condition, poc-narrator, sci-fi, audience-young-adult, retellings, setting-space, own-it-kindle, own-it-hard-copy, 2017
Read 2 times. Last read June 5, 2017 to June 8, 2017.

Trigger warnings: torture, violence, hallucinations due to mental illness.

8/6/2017
On reread, I'm bumping this down to 4 stars for two reasons:
1. I'm not convinced this book needed to be over 800 pages.
2. I still like my ending better, and the more I think about it, the more pissed I am that it didn't end my way.

Also, I think on reread, I ship Winter and Jacin harder than I do any of the other pairings. (Also, the Scarlet/Super-Duper-Wolf-esque Wolf pairing? Hella weird, y'all. HELLA weird.)

14/11/2015
4.5 stars. I've been waiting for this book for what feels like forever, and it didn't disappoint. Winter is a completely FABULOUS character, and I loved her from the get go. I mean, reinventing Snow White as a black girl with mental health problems? Uh, YES FOREVER AND EVER OMFG. She and Jacin were adorable, as are all the pairings in this series, but my shipping is reserved for Cress and Thorne because they're the cutest of ever.

This wrapped up everything brilliantly. I loved the revolutionary elements of it, I loved the entire squad being back together, I loved how many elements of the original Snow White story were woven through this, I loved Cinder coming to terms with not only being Princess Selene and having to rule, but also having to deal with just how much her stepmother despises her. The friendship between Winter and Scarlet was fabulous, and despite being over 800 pages, the story never felt like it was dragging or padded out.

The reason it loses half a star for me is totally petty, but it's because about a third of the way through the book I thought I'd worked out how everything was going to end, and I was really excited about it ending that way. And then it didn't end the way I'd imagined. The ending we got was still pretty stinking great, but I can't get over my headcanon ending, which I prefer in a lot of ways. Like I said, totally petty. But there you have it.

In case you care, the way I thought it was going to end is as follows: (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter.

July 31, 2013 – Shelved
June 7, 2017 –
page 610
June 8, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
June 8, 2017 – Finished Reading

GeGi Yeah, your ending is pretty awesome, too! I love the canon version, but I thought at least one of the things you thought was a possibility since the end of Cress, and I would have quite liked to see a few of the other bits you came up with as well.

Sarah ⚡ I love this book, but now that I've read your alternate ending, I think I like your version better!

Saajid Hosein Wolf was like the jacket of a hardcover: there, but ultimately unnecessary and you get the urge to pull him out and cast him to the side whilst reading.

message 4: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars