writer...'s Reviews > Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World

Life of the Beloved by Henri J.M. Nouwen

Jul 31, 2013

bookshelves: contemporary, spiritual-direction

"Being chosen is the basis for being the Beloved." Foundational to living in wholeness with generosity toward others. "Our lives are unique stones in the mosaic of human existence - priceless and irreplaceable." Nouwen's epistolary answer to a NY journalist's query, "why don't you write something about the spiritual life for me and my friends?.. Yes, speak to us about something or someone greater than ourselves. Speak to us about...God." And so, Nouwen says, "it became for me the most pertinent and the most urgent of all demands."

Beautifully poetic in thought and substance, I could write quote upon quote. Speaking. Resonating. Inspiriting my very core. Instilling. Affirming recognition, I am the Beloved. No more or less than each hearer or reader or other whether aware or unaware. Thus no comparison amongst the Beloved. Rather a generous desire to make others aware of their Belovedness.

And with that recognition, desire to become more within it. A heart of gratitude overflowing for God's Blessing of Love. Living in the Light of that Love we speak Blessing to others..."the most significant affirmation we can offer."

Thus a guide book that not only inspires, but instructs in walking out the thoughts so richly expressed.

Written during his time living at Daybreak, a Larche home near Toronto, ON, Canada. Many references to life with the mentally challenged that deeply impacted his life and Life as the Beloved.

A blessing to read and to recommend with highest acclaim. The video series of Henri Nouwen's teaching Being, Becoming and Living the Beloved featured for the Faith Hope and Cherrytea Lent season Begins Here

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of the Beloved.

July 31, 2013 – Shelved
July 31, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
November 18, 2014 – Shelved as: contemporary
November 18, 2014 – Shelved as: spiritual-direction
February 19, 2015 – Started Reading
March 2, 2015 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy Pollard-Gott I haven't read this one by Nouwen, but I am currently reading "Discernment," a collection of his essays on this topic of listening and responding to the Holy
Spirit in our decision making and throughout our lives. I have read several other of his books, and have found them to be full of a true spirit of humility, love, forgiveness, repentance, and faith. He is also especially good at acknowledging emotional vulnerability and our need for God. I look forward to your rating/review!

message 2: by writer... (last edited Mar 01, 2015 04:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

writer... Lucy wrote: "I haven't read this one by Nouwen, but I am currently reading "Discernment," a collection of his essays on this topic of listening and responding to the Holy
Spirit in our decision making and thro..."

I hope this review offers some insight into "Life of the Beloved" as I also hope for the video series for Lent.
I appreciate your recommendation and look forward to an opp to read your "Discernment" selection as well. A topic I particularly pursue. I find your description of Nouwen's writing personna very accurate, making him a fav writer and presenter. Many Thanks, Lucy, for responding.