Sapphyria 's Reviews > The Best Man's Baby

The Best Man's Baby by Victoria  James

Read 2 times. Last read July 1, 2018 to July 4, 2018.

I have not read book 1 in the series...yet (I just purchased it from Amazon) but I found that I really didn't need to in order to enjoy The Best Man's Baby.

Claire Holbrook is the daughter of a Reverend, who has had a mad crush on Jake Manning, a man with a reputation, since grade school. When her best friend, Holly marries Jake's brother, Quinn, Claire throws caution to the wind and, with the help of some whiskey, ends up in bed with Jake. Her first, and only, tryst results in pregnancy but Jake up and disappeared right after their hook up six week prior.

When Jake comes back after being out of town for a construction job, he doesn't realize just what happened that night. He knows that he took Claire's virginity, left her alone afterwards, didn't call, and, above all else ~ had the single best time he'd ever had in bed with a woman. Feeling guilty and unsure of how to handle everything, Jake did what he always does ~ he ran away from the problem.

When Claire jams a positive pregnancy test into his hamburger at the family get-together, everything comes crashing down around him. Not because she's pregnant but because of the secret he harbors and the shame he feels in taking advantage of the daughter of the man that kept Jake grounded and somewhat steady during his entire childhood and teen years. He can't nurture a family of his own until he releases the secret that has kept him at arm's length from almost everyone.

Claire can't believe that, at the age of 30, her very first sexual encounter results in her getting pregnant. And the father is the man of her dreams....or rather was the man of her dreams until he had sex with her and then abandoned her right after. When he shows up to the family bbq with a horrendous girl from Claire's past, she loses all control and announces that she's pregnant to everyone in attendance. Claire, too, has a secret from her past that she harbors; one that she's managed to mostly overcome, but that her mother can't seem to let go of.

Will Jake be able to make up for his insensitivity and find a way to be in Claire's life the way she deserves ~ as a husband and father ~ or will she continue to shut him out?

The Best Man's Baby is one of the best books I've read. This novel is packed full of emotion that just tears at you while you read. The expressions and emotions are written in such a way that you can't help but take them upon yourself and feel them, too. This is one of those novels that I'm going to replay over and over in my head because of the level of involvement the author gives the readers. This book is based on reality - nothing in it seems farfetched, unrealistic, or over the top. Pregnancy from a one-nighter happens. Men leave afterwards. Real men come back and accept responsibility for the role they played.

This truly could have become a poorly written book where Claire forgives Jake right away and without anger or questioning but it doesn't. Claire doesn't just bend to the charms of Jake. She makes him accountable for the humiliation and sadness he caused her. Claire refuses to become involved with Jake any further, including turning down his marriage proposal, just because she carries his child. She doesn't want to get married "because it's the right thing to do." She wants to marry because she's in love and not out of obligation. It takes Jake and Claire some time to figure out that they are both who the other needs and that they do indeed love each other. They don't travel the easy path - the author makes sure of that - and when all is said and done we have a fantastic novel that makes you want to cry, laugh, and shake some people - sometimes all 3 at the same time.

Review Copy Courtesy Of: Engtangled Indulgence Publishing, at no cost, in exchange for an honest review. I was not, nor will be, compensated for this review (other than the free book), and the thoughts regarding said novel are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Man's Baby.

July 10, 2013 – Started Reading