C.G. Drews's Reviews > Fangirl

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2014, contemporary, read-2014, young-adult

This book is the best of ever. I'M JUST SAYIN'. It is. If you're a writer or an introvert, I can almost (practically) guarantee at some point this book is going to hit you in a very relatable way. I was so emotionally invested in this book. Gosh. Look at me. I'm a fangirling (ha, pun) mess. I can't even write a logical review! I seriously just love this book so much.

I really connected to the characters! Can we just talk about Cath for a moment? She has a social anxiety disorder and (knowing from experience) it is written so DANG WELL, I nearly cried. Cath didn't find the cafeteria in her dorm for 3 weeks because she was too scared. She lived off peanut butter and protein bars. That's totally something I would do. (Says she who has emergency peanut butter in her room.) All of Cath's quirks and introverted ways...I just related to, so this made the book hugely special to me. I felt like the author had written it FOR me, which is awesome. Thanks Rainbow Rowell, me old pal. (Har, har.)

Oh, yeah, there were other characters besides Cath. Duh. SO. I have to mention Cath's identical twin first: Wren. (Yes, their names are "Cather" and "Wren"...their mother wasn't expecting twins.) Wren made me angry. I understood that she was flexing wings and needed to try "life without her sister". But, as Levi ends up mentioning, it's like Wren "broke up" with Cath. It's sad. You can't just dump someone when you want to look for other options. And they're sisters! Cath is an introvert dumped in a scary new college...Wren, let me hit you with a book. Wren made me angry the whole time, but she was very well written as a character. (An annoying character).

Levi was kind of adorable. I loved him a lot...although, yeah, *squints eyes suspiciously at Levi* He had issues. I don't actually see this as a love-triangle at all. While there are potentially two love-interests, I think it handles like real life and not like a triangle where two random guys are vying for the "invisible" girl's affections (which, let's face it, is very unlikely). That saying, also: I HATE NICK.

Reagan was brilliant! I'm totally in awe of how she was written....she was perfectly mean and sweet all at once.

Plot? Weeell, to be honest, I got to 50% and asked my sister (who'd already read this) "What the heck are they going to do for the rest of the book?1" They sure found plenty to do, though, even if it isn't breakneck speed or mind numbing suspense. The entire book is hugely addictive. I could NOT put it down.

Writing? Beautiful. I admit to not being the biggest fan of Eleanor and Park , but I love Rainbow Rowell's style. It's amazing. Addictive. Clear. Oh, and concise! And I love it how she writes about issues close to home. Nothing is unrealistic or unreal about her books. I love how she weaves her characters' relationships in and out until they're just as complicated as in the real world.

Okay! Okay! I'll stop gushing. But seriously: introverts, this is a story written specifically for you. I haven't been so invested in a book since the beginning of the year. I just...yeah. Brilliant. I'm so glad my sister is reviewing this on the blog, though, because I'm an incoherent babbly fangirling mess. I LOVED THIS BOOK.

description
description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fangirl.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Rainbow Rowell
“In new situations, all the trickiest rules are the ones nobody bothers to explain to you. (And the ones you can't Google.)”

Rainbow Rowell
“Cath felt like she was swimming in words. Drowning in them, sometimes.”

Rainbow Rowell
“Happily ever after, or even just together ever after, is not cheesy,” Wren said. “It’s the noblest, like, the most courageous thing two people can shoot for.”

Rainbow Rowell
“You’re never going to find a guy who’s exactly like you—first of all, because that guy never leaves his dorm room.”

Rainbow Rowell
“I feel sorry for you, and I'm going to be your friend."
"I don't want to be your friend," Cath said as sternly as she could. "I like that we're not friends."
"Me, too. I'm sorry you ruined it by being so pathetic.”

Rainbow Rowell
“How do you not like the Internet? That's like saying, 'I don't like things that are convenient. And easy. I don't like having access to all of mankind's recorded discoveries at my fingertips. I don't like light. And knowledge.”

Rainbow Rowell
“You don’t have any friends, your sister dumped you, you’re a freak eater..and you’ve got some weird thing about Simon Snow."

"I object to every single thing you just said."

Reagan chewed. And frowned. She was wearing dark red lipstick.

"I have lots of friends," Cath said.

"I never see them."

"I just got here. Most of my friends went to other schools. Or they’re online."

"Internet friends don’t count."

"Why not?"

Reagan shrugged disdainfully.

"And I don’t have a weird thing with Simon Snow," Cath said. "I’m just really active in the fandom."

"What the fuck is ‘the fandom’?”

Rainbow Rowell
“To really be a nerd, she'd decided, you had to prefer fictional worlds to the real one.”

Rainbow Rowell
“I'm just really active in the fandom."
"What the fuck is 'the fandom'?”

July 31, 2013 – Shelved
July 31, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
March 17, 2014 – Started Reading
March 17, 2014 –
page 205
46.07% "I understand Cath SO much it's bordering creepy. Would I avoid the cafeteria and just eat peanut-butter for 3 weeks? Yes. Yes I would."
March 18, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-star
March 18, 2014 – Shelved as: best-of-2014
March 18, 2014 – Shelved as: contemporary
March 18, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
March 18, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 18, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I need to read this so bad! The parallels... I just... It's FATE I tell you!

message 3: by Zoe (last edited Mar 19, 2014 05:03PM) (new)

Zoe I think this is one of the only books we've ever had VASTLY different opinions on! Needless to say, I'm so glad you liked it so much Cait! :D And, as always, brilliant review!

Traci Aaack. Rainbow Rowell is THE BEST. Levi is my favorite character. Have you read Carry On?

C.G. Drews @Traci: I haven't yet!! I do want to try Carry On eventually. :P

Vlora I LOVED this book for all the same reasons! I was also like whaaat are they even doing I don't care give me möre

Ashley Elliott I freaking LOVED this one.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

aaaaaaahhh(y) need this.

message 9: by Kitty (new) - added it

Kitty This doesn't have a huge romance does it?

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Kitty: It has romance! :)

message 11: by Oscarliu (new)

Oscarliu should I read it?
and how long is the book?

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Oscarliu: I think my 5-star rating gives my opinion on whether you should read it. ;D

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Gosh, I feel like all my thoughts and opinions of this book is written in this review!!!! I agree with every word!! I loved this book so much <3

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars