Michael's Reviews > Miracle and Other Christmas Stories

Miracle and Other Christmas Stories by Connie Willis

Aug 20, 2009

Read in December, 2000

Connie Willis offers readers an early holiday gift with this wonderful short story collection. I admit that I found this book in the sci-fi section, but I honestly think it transcends that. Yes, it's got some stories that deal with themes common to science-fiction and have sci-fi elements, but it's more than that. There is a holiday themed mystery, an examination of the original Christmas story and even a story that sets out to prove why Willis thinks "Miracle on 34th Street" is a superior holiday film to "It's A Wonderful Life." But what sets the collection apart from being just a collection of sci-fi stories with a Christmas theme is that Willis offers stories that must take place at Christmas. As she states in her introduction, it's hard to re-invent the wheel when it comes to holiday stories and she doesn't attempt to do so. Instead, she takes the convential stories and gives them her own unique twist making them entertaining and magical at the same time.

I sat down to read this collection not feeling very much in the spirit of the season. But in reading these engaging and intelligent stories, I soon found myself feeling a bit more Christmas-y. If you're feeling a bit burned out by the holiday season, pick up this collection and give any of the stories a try. I guarantee they'll have you whistling a Christmas tune in no time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracle and Other Christmas Stories.

Sandi I love this book! I pull it out every Christmas. She's written more Christmas stories since this came out. She even won a Hugo last year for her Christmas novella "All Seated on the Ground". I think she needs to put out a new collection of Christmas stories--in hardback this time with paper that won't turn yellow. I'd buy it.