Sandra Nachlinger's Reviews > Tougher Than The Rest

Tougher Than The Rest by Shirleen Davies

Jul 30, 2013

I'll admit it. I love books set in the American west. A trip through those vast open spaces, filled with rowdy cowboys and adventurous heroines, is my idea of a great escape. And if there's romance involved, so much the better! After reading an excerpt from TOUGHER THAN THE REST, I knew this was a book I'd enjoy.

In the book's dramatic prologue, author Shirleen Davies introduces us to the four young MacLaren brothers. After raiders murder their father and mother, they leave Ohio and head to their uncle's ranch in Arizona Territory, hoping he'll take them in. The oldest brother Niall is their leader. The majority of the book takes up the story twelve years later. Niall now runs his uncle's ranch and plans to marry a wealthy widow he doesn't love with the goal of making the ranch even greater. But then Katherine enters the scene. She's a young woman traveling from Philadelphia to California for a teaching position. When her stagecoach is involved in an accident, she and Niall meet and both their lives change.

One thing I enjoyed about the book was the strong heroine--Kate. She's educated, self-sufficient, and speaks up for herself without being strident. Although a blow to the head has caused her to forget her past, Kate does her best to pitch in and contribute to the McLaren household, where she's staying while she recuperates and tries to recall her history. She's a sympathetic character who I liked from the moment she was introduced.

With likable, believable characters, a strong plot, and descriptions that drew me into the setting, I enjoyed reading TOUGHER THAN THE REST from start to finish. I recommend this book to readers who like historical romances in a western setting. Since this is the first book in the MacLarens of Fire Mountain series, I'm looking forward to the stories of the other brothers too.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tougher Than The Rest.

Started Reading