Putri's Reviews > Forbidden Love

Aug 20, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: modern-literature
Read in January, 2008

Disappointment has driven me to give this book only one star and I classified this book as a fiction regardless what the author claimed that this is a nonfiction; I could have given this book more than this given the story is very touching and romantic love story, the Author is not a very wordy kind of author but I think the simplicity makes this book readable or is it because the readers thought simplicity is a good way of telling a true story?

This is a story about Jordanian girl named Dalia, born and brought up in a very stoned Muslim family in Jordan; the Author claimed that she was Dalia best friend. They together opened a unisex beauty salon and along the way, Dalia fell in love with a non Muslim man and finally she got killed by his own brother and father for having a relationship with non Muslim man and In Jordan apparently this kind of action is “secretly accepted” and it’s called honour killings and based on the book the Jordanian Government didn’t do anything about this kind of actions.

This book soon became best seller nonfiction book and people condemned what has happened in Dalia and other women there who became victims of this kind of action.

The truth was, this so called nonfiction book is a completely lies, none of the “facts” inside the book had “real facts”. And honour killings were never happened (at least by the time she wrote the book).
I still don’t know what has driven the Author to do this kind of lies really. I think she just took the advantages of the situation at that time when western countries have this “negative sentiment” over Islamic countries.

I have seen the documentary about the author in forbidden lie$$ in ABC channel and the truth is Norma Khouri is a pathological Liar. And lying in the name of literature is unacceptable.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forbidden Love.