Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)'s Reviews > The Garden of Eden

The Garden of Eden by Ernest Hemingway

it was ok
bookshelves: classics, lgbtqqiaap
Read 2 times. Last read August 19, 2019 to August 20, 2019.

I love the queerness of it, but I don't like Hemingway's writing. It's annoying and soooo male. In a bad way. Basically, this is a queer story told by a cishet male. A product of the time, one that I wish I liked on my reread.

Original review:

I don't know how to describe this book honestly. My first Hemingway and I'm not sure exactly how to express how I feel about this book.

Simply written is the first thing that comes to mind. But, yet, it was well done and not too simple. There were complexities hidden underneath the sentences that I knew were there but wasn't sure how to interpret them. The characters come next. Each character was alive on the page. I could connect with all of them. David brought out the writer in me, Catherine the feelings of being in the wrong body, and Marita being almost unsure how she fit in between the husband and wife.

I wish this book had been completed before his death because now I want to know exactly how it ends. Does Catherine finally become the person she wants to be? Will David rewrite his work she burned and show that he will not be controlled by her? And Marita, will she stick around the couple that is slowly coming undone as she comes more into the scene?

All I can say, is that I enjoyed this book greatly. It was a book I doubt I'll come across again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Garden of Eden.

Quotes Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his) Liked

Ernest Hemingway
“Please understand and love me.”
Ernest Hemingway, The Garden of Eden

July 23, 2019 – Shelved as: lgbtqqiaap
August 19, 2019 – Started Reading
August 19, 2019 –
page 107
43.15% "This is one of those odd books. I do not like Hemingway and the only reason I like this book is because of the trans aspect of it."
August 20, 2019 – Finished Reading