Kara Babcock's Reviews > In Sea-Salt Tears

In Sea-Salt Tears by Seanan McGuire

liked it
bookshelves: 2013-read, ebook, fantasy, romance

Seanan McGuire is killing it with the Hugo nominations this year. Not only is her alter ego up for a novel nomination, but she has two nominations in the same category. While I wasn’t impressed by “Rat-Catcher”, “In Sea-Salt Tears” left me with a more favourable feeling. It’s predictable and a little trite, but at the same time it has a strong emotional core. It probes ideas about personal and cultural identity within the bounds of a fantasy setting, which is exactly how speculative fiction should play out.

Liz is a selkie, waiting for her skin. With such a limited number, acquiring a skin is a rite of passage all young selkies crave. While she waits, for what seems like an interminable period, she forms a lasting friendship with a Roane girl who always arrives to observe the passing on of a skin. This girl, Annie, captivates and fascinates Liz; for the first time, Liz sees an alternative to simply waiting to be able to join her brothers and sisters in the sea. She and Annie see each other irregularly as Annie passes through town. Eventually, they move in together. But then Liz gets that fateful call, the one she thought she had been waiting for. And she has to make a choice.

This is a tragedy, and not just for obvious reasons. (I admit I made the connections regarding Annie’s identity pretty early on, but McGuire handles the reveal in a way that is fulfilling and rewarding, especially if you were paying attention to the foreshadowing.) Liz has a shot at happiness, a happiness that is genuine and not built upon the perpetuation of generations of tragedy. But she is struggling against who she is, against what seems to be a hereditary need to don one of those slippery skins and frolic in the sea. The revelation that there is a dark side to the selkie secret makes the choice all the more tragic and difficult.

A lot of stories are made by the hero or heroine's rejection of temptation, by their ability to overcome adversity and triumph despite the odds. Like many tragedies, “In Sea-Salt Tears” is about the protagonist losing. This story is powerful because of the choices that Liz makes, the triumph of cowardice over love. She is unable to break a centuries-long cycle; she is just another generation of junkie.

Creative Commons BY-NC License

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Sea-Salt Tears.

July 25, 2013 – Started Reading
July 25, 2013 – Finished Reading
July 30, 2013 – Shelved
July 30, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013-read
July 30, 2013 – Shelved as: ebook
July 30, 2013 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 30, 2013 – Shelved as: romance

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Julie This is probably my favourite nominee in the novelette category and the one I’d like to see win this year.

Oho -- what were your thoughts on Fade to White? (Which is my own pick, out of the nominees.)

Kara Babcock Julie wrote: "Oho -- what were your thoughts on Fade to White?"

Well, since you asked… (I’ve had that written for a while but seem to have acquired such a backlog of reviews I haven’t posted it yet.)

It probably should have been my runner-up, but looking at my ballot confirmation now, it appears none of my choices except my vote for this one were saved in that category! Just goes to show I should double-check these things before the deadline.

Anyway, I enjoyed it as a quirky thing, which I think is a good thing for a novelette. But the story was not as emotionally involved, for me, as “In Sea-Salt Tears”. I really like how McGuire included the tragic mythos. Valente’s eugenic Pleasantville USA is creepy, but it’s a little too familiar of a parable.

Julie Thanks! :D This was my first year making a concerted effort at reading the nominees, so I've really enjoyed comparing the ratings/impressions between myself and the only two people on my GR friendslist who were also reading them.

Just goes to show I should double-check these things before the deadline.
If it makes you feel any better, my own lapse was way more catastrophic. After buckling down for 2 months and reading all Hugos all the time non-stop!!, and even reading extra books to adequately gauge the Campbell category, and finishing all my intended reads a week before the deadline...

... work got so busy that I forgot to vote at all.

I may or may not have screamed and sent angry kicking-myself texts to my best friend on August 2nd, once I remembered. :'(

Kara Babcock Ouch! No fun! But at least you got to read all that awesome fiction. ^_^