C.G. Drews's Reviews > Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick

bookshelves: 5-star, contemporary, read-2014, young-adult, mental-illness, ya-male-narrators

Woah. I'm just...woah. This book kind of bopped me on the head and left my brain for dead. I love that. It's an issue book, and while I don't think it adequately dealt with the issue, I think it presented the story realistically.

And then, you know, left us to stew in our own questions. WHY DID IT NOT ANSWER THE QUESTIONS?

It's narrated by, Leonard. I don't want to give spoilers, but to put it bluntly: Leonard is considered "strange". He has a strange thought process. He likes strange things (like old movies or listening to someone play violin every single day at school during lunch). He doesn't have friends. There are Reasons, but as if I'm going to tell you. Pfft. Read the book. What I loved about Leonard is I really felt like I was in his head during the book. I saw how he saw. It made me want to cry, because life's UNFAIR. Why does it need to be taht unfair?? Nothing that happened to Leonard was that "unusual" either, and that makes me sad.

So Leonard is going to kill someone and then kill himself. (We know this from the blurb, too.) The book takes place over ONE DAY. I know, right?! ONE DAY. Leonard gives 4 presents to people he wants to thank...which is a sign of suicide, too, by the way (I know how to use google, too). It's interesting because we get to meet these 4 people. His neighbour. His favourite teacher. The violinist kid. The Jesus freak girl he couldn't have. (view spoiler)

Sure! It's an issue book! But does it deal ? I don't really think so. ERMAGERD to that ending. Leave me alone to flail. (view spoiler) It doesn't resolve, and I love it for that at the same time as hate it. Life doesn't resolve. But the book didn't exactly leave me feeling tremendously hopefully. Although, the messages....oh, gosh. The MESSAGES. There are some lines in there I could cry over. People may suck, but there are ALWAYS people out there who will care.

I feel so sad for Leonard.

I'm pretty sure this book will stay with me forever. SO JUST GO READ IT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Matthew Quick
“People should be nice to you, Leonard. You're a human being. You should expect people to be nice.”
Matthew Quick, Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock

July 30, 2013 – Shelved
July 30, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
June 24, 2014 – Started Reading
June 24, 2014 –
page 128
44.44% "This is seriously depressing."
June 25, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-star