Laura J. W.'s Reviews > The Sea, the Sea

The Sea, the Sea by Iris Murdoch

Aug 19, 2009

bookshelves: i-ll-read-it-again

This is my first time reading Iris Murdoch, and I thoroughly enjoyed her! Her prose is lush, the characters are intense and flawed personalities who are far from perfect, but are perfect for who they are, and her humor is delightfully dark (velvety blue, nigh black)...hey, she writes my kind of book! It had the flow of a well-tuned engine that toured along at a steady clip that kept the pages turning. I dog-eared several places with awesome chunks of writing that I will want to revisit later. The Sea, The Sea is such an odd book, fascinating and unsettling, very squirmy at times as Charles goes through the transition of being retired from the busy life in the theater to living alone by the sea...(yeah, what was he thinking, right?) The man was his own worst enemy once he had too much time on his hands... I had to shake my head and say, "Why did you do that?" oy, vey, never a dull moment in that lonely house by the sea, such nonsense going on! It was pitiful to see a presumably intelligent man become so discombobulated, I had to laugh... it was hard to feel sorry for him because of his foolishness and he was a first class asshole, but whatever, sometimes they make the best stories. So I sat back every night and enjoyed the read to see what was going to happen next and how this guy will grow. Well, he did grow, eventually, in a way that he was comfortable with, goodness knows, it’s tough living within one’s skin with a brain full of baggage...thankfully, the book winds up with a life goes on attitude, just as it should.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea, the Sea.

August 19, 2009 – Shelved
November 18, 2010 – Started Reading
November 18, 2010 –
page 10
2.02% "Just picked it up off the top of my to-read pile...it's lovely."
November 22, 2010 –
page 95
November 27, 2010 –
page 135
November 28, 2010 –
page 151
December 6, 2010 –
page 290
58.59% "I'm moving right along through this...it's a bit "squirmy" in that maddening "Why did you do that?" sort of way, but I don't mind...people do dumb, half-thought-out stuff all the time for all kinds of reasons, more often than not fanciful reasons, then come to find out...reality sucks."
December 17, 2010 –