Tantalizing 's Reviews > Emerge

Emerge by S.E. Hall

Jul 29, 2013

bookshelves: favorites
Read 2 times. Last read July 29, 2013 to August 1, 2013.

I was given this book by the author in exchange for an honest review

It took me a while to be able to compose myself before writing this review… yes this book is that good! So, here I am with my heart still beating fast and breaking all at the same time and I don’t know which way to go. This has to be the first book with a love triangle that doesn’t involve cheating, and it added a whole new dimension to my thoughts on love triangles. I choose a team and found myself switching back and forth throughout the book and in the end I choose a side, but my heart still breaks for the other guy who also won my heart.

Emerge is the story of Laney Walker. She is a daddy’s girl with a quick wit who uses sarcastic zingers to deflect situations that make her uncomfortable. Her mother left her at a very young age and because of that Laney doesn’t let people in… well not easily at least. Since she was 10 years old her best friend Evan has been a solid fixture in her life. They shared every experience together, from sports, Disney movies, fishing, and everything in between. Just before Evan and Laney go off to different colleges, Evan decides it’s time to tell Laney how he feels, sending their friendship down a whole different path. Evan is everything that Laney thinks she needs, he is safe, familiar and he has always been there.

"Laney you are THAT girl… the one guys make up in their heads when they put all the parts together to make the perfect girl. The man who gets you to actually pay attention, well, he’ll be the luckiest guy on the planet, and he’ll know it” –Evan (Emerge)

Now with them going off to different colleges what would happen to them? Laney realizes that staying together through the distance would make both her and Evan’s college experiences pure agony, so she decides it is best if they just stay friends and if it is meant to be they will find their ways back together. Even though not boyfriend/girlfriend Laney finds herself still thinking of Evan that way so when she meets Dane who should be on the cover of “World’s Sexiest Reasons to Drop Your Panties” she is instantly drawn to him. Laney soon finds herself seeking out Dane, spending time with Dane and *gasp* even opening herself up to Dane, she feels guilty because she feels like she is doing Evan wrong. Dane is step by step, brick by brick, tearing down the walls she puts up around her heart and she can’t help but let him in.

Who will Laney choose? Will she stick with her long-time best friend and first love or adventure down an unknown path with a guy who makes her world complete? No matter who she chooses someone gets hurt, can she hurt either, can she decide or will her world crash around her? You will have to read to find out. J

“No harm will come to you whenever I’m around, I swear it. Welcome to college, Laney; welcome to life.” –Dane (Emerge)

Emerge is definitely one of my favorite books that I have read this year. It kept me sucked in until the end and left me begging for it not to be over. I bawled my eyes out at the pure raw emotions in this book and now I have to wait patiently impatient for the second book Embrace to come out October 1st.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emerge.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
July 13, 2013 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
July 13, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
July 29, 2013 – Started Reading