Andrew's Reviews > The Longer I'm Prime Minister: Stephen Harper and Canada, 2006-

The Longer I'm Prime Minister by Paul Wells

bookshelves: politics

Six stars. In a five-star environment. Dare I do it? Dare I? Yes. And if you doubt my five-star stinginess, check out my profile.

Not I'm not saying this will become the blockbuster hit of 2013, but for those interested in Canadian political reading, I just don't think you're going to find much better in print this side of the next federal election.

Paul Wells has avoided partisanship (so Tory detractors will inevitably decry him as an apologist) in what is the only general (i.e. I'm sure academic studies exist) review of the Harper Conservatives. The second chapter on the party's philosophical background puts into words for the first what many Conservative voters have only vaguely felt. The rest of the book convinces you of Wells' theses: Harper is an incrementalist; and is shifting the country right, or indeed, taking advantage of an already changing Canada in ways the other parties haven't picked up on yet. All while chronicling the last decade or so of Canadian politics.

And did I mention the wonderfully witty and snarky package? I shall sacrifice some time to re-reading.

Follow me on Twitter: @Dr_A_Taubman

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Longer I'm Prime Minister.

Started Reading
July 27, 2013 – Finished Reading
July 29, 2013 – Shelved
January 23, 2015 – Shelved as: politics

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Tim The Enchanter After last night's debate, seems like a good time to pick this up.