Amy (amyb2332)'s Reviews > Firefly Lane

Aug 19, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: general-fiction, 2010-audiobooks, audiobook
Read from July 07 to 20, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I'm so ready to be done listening to this book. It was pretty long, not quite the longest of the year but close. That isn't to say that I haven't enjoyed the book because I have. But, one of my tests for how good an audiobook is is how much listening I get done at work. If I'm content to just listen on my commute then generally the books just isn't that amazing. This book fell into that category for me. I liked listening to it when I did listen but I had no real desire to listen at my desk or take extra long walks with the dog to sneak in more time. And that made this 19 disc almost 18 hour book drag out for weeks. The narrator was good, so that wasn't the problem, I'm not even really sure what the problem is but now, at the end of the story with only 2.5 hours left I'm so ready to be done with this that I'm forcing myself to listen at work.

So, some of the things I liked:
*Kate when she was young / before she had kids. I found that I related to her quite a lot.
*The way all the historical events / music were woven into the story - It felt like a personal story. Like maybe the author really had experienced much of all this herself.
*The mother daughter storylines. Part of which was being able to see Kate go through both - being the teenager and being the mother of a teenage girl.
*The upside to the longness is that you really know the characters. By the end they feel like friends of your own.

Things I didn't love:
*Tully - I just couldn't relate to her, at all. My life growing up was so different and her dreams of a career and always wanting more aren't really like me. At times I just wondered why Kate would even want to be friends with her.
*Kate once she became a mom - I don't ever want to be a stay at home mom and if I was, I have zero desire to be the super mom Kate was. Involved in every single thing - no wonder her daughter was frustrated. I wouldn't have wanted my mom to drive me to school well into high school or be at every school function either. I thought Kate was overbearing and seemed to forget the wonderful things her mom did. Like when her mom was supportive of Kate wearing makeup (just a little) and showing her how but Kate just seemed to refuse point blank with daughter. Maybe I don't understand because I'm not a mom but Kate was very inflexible and I didn't really understand that side of her.
*Johnny / Kate / Tully - I hated this storyline. It just felt so incestuous. I spent the entire book worried that the big betrayal would be Tully & Johnny having an affair, I was so distracted worrying about this that I think it is partially why I didn't like this book more.

Overall though, I did like this book. My review makes it so that it may not have sound like I liked it but I really did. I would read more by this author and I would probably recommend this book to others in the future.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firefly Lane.