Ashley's Reviews > Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream: A Day in the Life of Your Body

Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream by Jennifer Ackerman

Aug 19, 2009

bookshelves: 2009-books, non-fiction, medical
Read in September, 2009

This book follows your body and its inner workings over a 24-hour period.

Despite being based heavily in scientific studies and research, the content was readable, engaging, and easy to understand. Given my penchance for random factoids, I found myself constantly nudging my husband and asking him if he knew that you're most likely to die in the early morning hours (5AM-ish to 7AM-ish) because blood pressure and cortisol production begin to ramp up in anticipation of your waking up.

Or that WHEN chemotherapy is given has a definite effect on side effects and survival rates? Or how about the fact that the doctor (William Steward Halsted - surgeon who worked at Johns Hopkins Hospital around the turn of the 20th century) who is credited with starting the long hours of doctors and interns was actually addicted to cocaine? No wonder he thought working around the clock was such a great idea! And what about the fact that shift work and cancer rates are linked?

Lots of fascinating info about your body including the best (and worst) times to do certain tasks (i.e. schedule a dental appointment, take medication, work out, schedule surgery, etc.) and how to best work with your body's natural rhythm. Great read - highly recommend.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream.

04/03/2016 marked as: read