Joi's Reviews > Life After Life

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

liked it
bookshelves: audio

I teetered between 2-3 stars for this one. I really WANTED to like this, I enjoyed her style or writing, the premise was interesting and unique, I can see why everyone loves it, I can appreciate what the novel was going for. But it wasn't for me.

The premise of this is that Ursula Todd gets reborn. Again and again. She experiences deja vu because once she dies, she comes back again from the start (birth) and experiences life in different ways. Events happen differently, people act differently, characters weave in and out. I think a few of the stories could have been taken out- the beginning got super repetitive.

I did enjoy the writing style. I'd consider reading another Kate Atkinson because I thought she wrote well- the characterization of the people, the descriptions, whatnot. I really did like to see how different events would change people's actions, reactions, and how this could change the course of someone's life. Ursula was different in her different versions of herself, and that was interesting. I also enjoyed the historical fiction aspect of this novel. The wartime was a nice (if you can call war nice....) backdrop but didn't steal too much of the show.

The non-linear timeline and the lack of beginning-middle-end bothered me. I became too distracted with what Ursula remembered from which life. Or when she is older- which events from previous stories were true on that timeline? All the details that are meant to be poignant- were just distracting to me. Often times I knew the particular life wouldn't really matter, so I didn't care about it. Since I didn't care- I wasn't invested, since I wasn't invested it was a middle of the road 3 stars for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life After Life.

July 29, 2013 – Shelved
February 16, 2017 –
page 341
February 24, 2017 – Finished Reading
May 6, 2017 – Shelved as: audio

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie  Ravioli I had the same reaction. That said, I almost feel like I should try again some day because sooooooo many people love this book.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars