Alexes's Reviews > Tendrils of Life: A story of love, loss, and survival in the turmoil of the Korean War

Tendrils of Life by Owen Choi

Tendrils of Life is a sort of book that you don’t see much of these days—a sweeping epic that is also an intimate portrait of its characters. Set mainly during the Korean Conflict of the early 1950s, this compelling story of war and its effects on a small number of civilians trying to survive amidst food shortages, bombings, and the mad violence that always comes when the world is falling to pieces, grabs you by the collar and pulls you in from the first page to the last.

Choi doesn’t give us characters without context. His Michener-like explanations of the war’s background and causes, and what is going on in the big picture as we follow the close-up view of the main characters, bring a special richness to the book. Some readers might not like these breaks in the action, but I found the information invaluable. He also includes a map that helps the reader see the distances the main characters traveled.

I’d highly recommend this book to anyone interested in history and/or a gripping tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tendrils of Life.

July 29, 2013 – Started Reading