Shannon's Reviews > The Sheriff of Yrnameer

The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens

2016128
Aug 18, 2009

bookshelves: science-fiction, borrowed, funny, favorite-books
Read from August 24 to 30, 2009

This book was so much fun. There were some parts that I actually had to pause and take a moment because I couldn't stop laughing. It was a nice quick read and from the first chapter I was hooked. Something that's really telling of a great book is if you're not reading and maybe off doing something else, you're daydreaming about the story and thinking, "I wonder how he's going to get out of that mess?" and "I need to get my work done and go read to find out what's going to happen to him!" This was definitely that kind of book.

One of the funniest parts to me was when Peter the 'Puter was introduced, an artificial intelligence that became sentient. Looking back and rereading the bits with him still make me giggle, especially this part:

Peter was the first to survive because he was the first to answer the Genesis query-"Do you like human beings?"-in the affirmative; and he was the first to answer in the affirmative because, well . . .

I really like colored pebbles, Peter was thinking at the moment. And string.

I don't know why but that cracks me up every time, but it does.

As far as the story goes, things start off pretty silly and lighthearted and then slowly get darker as more and more things go wrong for the hero and his companions. Don't get me wrong though, the humor is still retained, it just becomes darker and a little less random.

Cole, as the protagonist, was easy for me to root for. He starts off having the quintessential bad day and things pretty much snowball from there on out. Somehow he manages to squeak by and avoid disaster. Well ... to a point. His love life is pretty much in shambles, but I have a feeling in the next book, things might be a little easier for the hero.

I also think this book would make an awesome movie. It's got everything to make a great sci-fi film, it's pretty much non-stop action and tomfoolery.

ETA in May of 2012: I was looking over some of my reviews and I'm a bit sad that this came out in 2009 and there's still no planned sequel. I was hoping this would turn into a series, but I'm starting to wonder if it's just a stand-alone. It's not bad as a stand-alone but I definitely want more of this series. Hopefully some day Rubens writes more books about Cole or even just set in this world because I'd really love to read them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sheriff of Yrnameer.

08/24/2009 page 0
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Oooo, five stars. You really did like it! Guess I know what I'm picking up next time I have a B&N coupon!

Shannon This was just one of those books that had everything right. It was funny, suspenseful, and a definite page-turner. The characters are really well-defined and easy to get attached to.

message 3: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Cool beans. Looking forward to it then.