Laura's Reviews > Origin

Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout

bookshelves: favorites, ya, fantasy, science-fiction, romance

**CRAZY amount of spoilers so I'm not even bothering to block them out**

I will probably never ever ever ever get tired of Ms. Armentrout's writing. Her books are so full of ups and downs there's never (and I mean NEVER) a dull moment! This book was certainly no exception. Daemon and Katy *swoons* need I say more? And the whole Luxen vs. DOD is getting really complicated with the Arum helping the DOD and the DOD experimenting and convincing themselves it's all in the name of science (they're creating killing machines by the way... yeah that doesn't seem like a good thing to having running around earth).

The way the last book left off, my heart almost broke right it half. I couldn't believe it. One of THE WORST cliffhangers I've ever read. I couldn't even go on the waiting list for the library. Nope I go on an impulse buy and start it that very minute. I have absolutely no regrets :).

So the plot. It get's really crazy and there's a lot of puzzle pieces that are added and some are put together. The whole world of Luxen get's opened up to us. During the first half of the book (Katy's confinement mainly) there was a lot of that big picture stuff going on and it isn't pretty. The Luxen are basically like humans - some good and some evil. Those evil ones kind of outnumber the nice ones which is a big problem that we haven't had to face yet in the series but is thrown in Katy's face. She doesn't know if what the DOD is saying is true or not (but judging by Bethany's cryptic conversation with Daemon before he left we can assume that at least some of it is either exaggerated or they are just deluded maniacs that want to control what they can never control). I feel like I'm ranting so I'll try to wrap it up here!

There are so many betrayals and heartbreaking moments that I felt like I was on an emotional roller coaster that wasn't even mine but I ended up on it anyway! I was pretty happy with the ending. At least it wasn't another crazy cliffhanger like the last book!

Overall, a solid 5 out of 5 for this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Origin.

Quotes Laura Liked

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Did you think you could stop me? I'll burn the world down to save her.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I've been waiting a long time to run tests on someone like you, " he said to Daemon, voice high-pitched.
Daemon arched a brow. "Another fanboy. I have them everywhere."
I muttered, "Only you would see that as a good thing."
He shot me a grin.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I want a years-worth of seconds and minutes with you. I want a decade's worth of hours, so many that I can't add them up.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“We can't lose you," she said after a few moments of awkward as hell silence. "You have to understand that we aren't doing this because we don't care about Kat. We're doing this because we love you."

"But I love her," I said without hesitation.

Dee's eyes widened, probably since it was the first time she'd herd me say it out loud, well, about anyone other than my family. I wished I had said it more often, especially to Kat. Funny how that kind of shit always turns out in the end. While you're deep in something, you never say or do what you need to. It's always after the fact, when it's too late that you realize what you've should've said or done/

It couldn't be too late. I knew that. The fact that I was still alive was testament to that. Like Dee said, though, there were worse things than death.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I want to marry you because I'm in love with you, Kat. I will always be in love with you. That's not going to change today or two weeks from now. I will be just as in love with you in twenty years as I am today.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I love you," I said, our lips brushing. "I love you so very much.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“As close as you’re riding me, man, I feel like I need to take you out to dinner or something. At least, I should get your name.” He punched in a floor number, smirking.
“People call me Archer.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“There's only one thing I want."
"And that is?"
"I want to see Kat."
Nancy's smile didn't fade. "And what are you willing to do to accomplish that?"
"Anything," I said without hesitation, and I meant it. "I will do anything, but I want to see Kat first and I want to see her now.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“So I was thinking, there're eighty-six thousand, four hundred seconds in a day, right? There're one thousand, four hundred and forty minutes in a day...There're one hundred and sixty-eight hours in a week. Around eighty-seven hundred and then some hours in a year, and you know what?...I want to spend every second, every minute, every hour with you...I want a year's worth of seconds and minutes with you. I want a decade's worth of hours, so many that I can't add them up.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“He did something truly remarkable with hips, causing me to gasp.
"Yeah," he said smugly. "I deserve another kiss."
Yes. Yes he did.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I'll do anything for her.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I took a step forward, rage swirling inside me.
“You broke into Mount Weather?” Hunter choked out a laugh. “Are you insane?”
“Shut up,” I said, keeping my eyes on Luc.
Hunter made a deep noise. “Our little mutual white flag of friendship is going to come to a halt if you tell me to shut up again.”
I spared him a brief glance. “Shut. Up.”
Dark shadows drifted over the Arum’s shoulder, and I faced him fully. “What?” I said, throwing my hands up in a universal come get some. “I have a lot of pent-up violence I’d love to take out on someone.”
“Guys.” Luc sighed, sliding off the bar. “Seriously? Can’t you two bro-mance it out?”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I want to get to know every freckle and every curve on a personal level.”

“I think you did that last night.”

“Nah.” He shook his head. “That was just a meet and greet. I want to know their hopes and dreams.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Oh shit. ET just phoned home.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You've been awake a while?" When his smile spread, I shook my head. "So you just laid there and let me stare at you like a creeper?"
"Pretty much, Kitten. I figured I'd let you get your fill, but then you kissed me and, well, I like to be a bit more involved in that.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“A certain bone-deep understanding occurred and my hand tightened around the smaller one I held. It weren't stars we were staring at. The sky was falling.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Me and Katy look adorkable in extraterrestrial
highway shirts. You would just look stupid. You can thank me later.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“She was beautiful, and I was so, so desperately in love with her.
Her chin jerked up, and she sucked in a breath, eyes widening.
Okay, I may have actually thought that last bit at her.
You did. A small smile split her lips.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I promise you that this isn't going to be our future, Kitten. I will give that to you—a normal life."

Her eyes glistened. "I don’t expect a normal life. I just expect a life with you”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Sometimes words were cheap. They could be powerful, but in those rare occasions like now, words meant nothing.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I’m Dee Black. I’m the sister of the douchebag known as Daemon.” She smiled brightly. “But you probably already know that.”
“That’s he’s a douchebag or that he’s your brother?” Archer asked innocently. “The answer is yes to both.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Did you think you could stop me?" Power shot from me, smacking into the door behind Dawson, blowing it off the hinges and into the house. "I'll burn the world down to save her.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Daemon: Ever hear the saying you catch more lions with honey than vinegar?
Katy: I think it's 'catch more bees' and not lions.
Daemon: Whatever.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“There’re eighty-six thousand, four hundred seconds in a day, right? There’re one thousand, four hundred and forty minutes in a day.”
Her brow knitted. “Okay. I’ll take your word for it.”
“I’m right.” I tapped my finger against my head. “A lot of useless knowledge up here.
Anyway, are you following me? There’re one hundred and sixty-eight hours in a week.
Around eighty-seven hundred and then some hours in a year, and you know what?”
She smiled. “What?”
“I want to spend every second, every minute, every hour with you.” Part of me
couldn’t believe something that cheesy had come out of my mouth, but it was also so beauti fully true. “I want a year’s worth of seconds and minutes with you. I want a decade’s worth of hours, so many that I can’t add them up.”
Her chest rose sharply as she stared at me, eyes widening.
I took one more step and then went down on one knee in front of her, in a towel.
Probably should have put some pants on. “Do you want that?” I asked.
Kat’s eyes met mine, and the answer was immediate. “Yes. I want that. You know I want that.”
“Good.” My lips curved up. “So let’s get married.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“...the freaky kid was now staring at me with those purple eyes.
Man, I did not like freaky kids.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Staring down at Katy, I fell for her all over again.
Lost my heart when she smiled.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“We don't want to hurt you
"That's a shame." I cracked my neck. Behind me, several more were gathering. " I have no problem hurting you”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
Jesus H. Mary mother of Christ in crutches, came Daemon's voice.
I'm not sure that's how it goes, I told him.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Daemon Black could be as prickly as a hedgehog having a really bad day, but underneath all that spindly armor, he was sweet, protective, and incredibly selfless.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I whipped around, eyeballing the guard breathing down my neck. "Seriously, dude, you need to back the hell up."
The guy was half a head shorter than me and nowhere in my league of extraordinary ass-kicking abilities...”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Listen to me, Daemon. This isn’t your fault. I wouldn’t change a damn thing. Okay? Yes, things have sucked, but I’d go through it all again if I had to. There are things I would want to change, but not you – never you. I love you. That’s never going to change.”

“This is good.”
“Why is it good?” I asked.
He pulled out a stethoscope. “It’s a good indication that the mutation is on a perfect, cellular level.”
“Or an indication that I’m pretty damn awesome,” Daemon suggested coolly.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
"...What about my life? My blog?" Okay, my blog was seriously the least of my worries, but dammit, it was important to me.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Man, it was so quiet you could hear a grasshopper karate chop a fly.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Was I totally against the idea of having kids with Kat one day? Other than breaking out in hives at the thought of that, the idea wasn't too horrible. Of course, I wanted the white picket fence bullshit...if it occurred a good ten years from now, and the kids didn't have weird bowl haircuts and couldn't Jedi mind-screw people.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“He can read your mind without even knowing."
Dee's face went from pale to bright cherry. "Oh God."

"What?"

She smacked her hands over her face. "Well, the whole time we were downstairs, I was picturing him naked.”

“but then again, they
were like baby Einsteins on crack.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Sporks are only used in the most dire situations.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Really? Kat's angry? Could it be because you're holding her captive?" The words tasted like acid.
"She attacked several members of my team."
A smile spread across my face. That's my girl.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“The kid curled his fingers inward, like he was motioning them to come play with him, and in a total Magneto way, the guns flew from the officers' hands, zinging toward the kid. They, too, stopped in midair and lit up in vibrant shades of blue. A second later the guns were dust.
Kat's hands dug into my back. "Holy..."
"Shit," I finished.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I had no idea how we were going to figure this out. but women had been having babies since the beginning of time without doctors. Couldn't be that hard, right? I sort of wanted to punch myself in the face after that though.
Childbirth scared the crap out of me.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“His kisses really did have the power to change lives. Not that I'd admit that. His ego was ginormous as it was.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I'd take out an army, burn down an entire city, and throw the world into chaos if I had to in order to keep Kat out of that place.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Kat had a thing for dandelions. She couldn't keep her fingers off them when we'd been training with the onyx. From the moment those yellow weeds started poking through the ground, she'd snap them up and pop their heads off.
A wry grin tugged at my lips as I skidded to a stop in front of the windowless door. Demented Kitten.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Luc moved to the center of the floor. "I don't have all day, guys. I have things to do. A nap I want to take this afternoon. There's a new movie out on Netflix I want to watch, and a goddamn coupon for a free Whopper Jr. that's calling my name.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Luc's never betrayed you, has he?" When I shook my head, Archer grimaced. "And I would never betray Luc. Even I'm a bit scared of that little shit.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Well, aren't you just a special snowflake," Daemon murmured.
"That I am." Archer's lips quirked into a half grin.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“The deaths, well, they did stack up, one after another. Kind of hard not to take them personally. Did I blame myself? Hell to the no. Did it piss me off and make me want to douse the entire compound in gasoline and start throwing matches? Hell yes.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Who knew what time it was when the door to my room opened and three G.I. Joe Wannabes motioned me out.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“An intercom popped on and Paris dais, "Knock. Knock."
Static and then a woman's voice said, "Who's there?"
Kat raised a brow at me, and I shrugged.
"The interruption cow," Paris said, glancing at Luc, who shook his head.
From the intercom, "The inter-"
"Moooooo!" Pars dais, snickerin.
Kat giggled.
Archer rolled his eyes and shook his head.
There was an audible huff from the intercom. "That was stupid. The gate is opening. Give ist a sec."
"That was pretty lame" I said.
Paris chuckled. "I saw it on the Internet. Made me laugh. I got more. Want to hear them?"
"No." My rebuttal was joined by Archer's. Something we agreed on. Huh. Go figure.
"Too bad." Paris eased forward as the gated split, spreading wide. "That wasn't even my best one.”

July 28, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read