Cathy's Reviews > The Girl Who Fell from the Sky

The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow

This was a gem that I accidentally discovered as I (figuratively) stomped around the library because I couldn't find a single book on my 20+ list of titles. Maybe I need to stomp around the library more. I decided that I'd walk through the shelves and try to find a book that caught my eye. Catchy cover -- the title runs vertically and the book was endorsed by Barbara Kingsolver. This was a terrific, thoughtful story and heartbreaking at times. Rachel, about 11 or 12, lives with her grandma in Portland, and the story begins with her first day of school. It's clear that a tragic event has happened to Rachel's family (not a spoiler) which leads her to live with her grandma, but the story is revealed slowly and by different characters. Rachel has brilliant blue eyes from her Danish mother and light brown skin from her black father, and she is forced to answer questions in her new school about whether she is white or black. As Rachel struggles with the tragic circumstances of her family, she also struggles with the question to define herself as white or black because she's never considered herself as being nothing more than just herself.. as Rachel. The story alternates between a set of characters, all with a unique voice and perspective, but especially Jamie, a young boy, who witnessed what happened to Rachel's family. Beautifully written, characters to care about...this book will undoubtedly be on my mind for a while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Fell from the Sky.

Started Reading