Shambhawi P.'s Reviews > The Sound

The Sound by Sarah Alderson

Totally clichéd. Completely cheesy. Wholly predictable. Oh, and it has a love triangle.

So basically Not My Cuppa Tea.

But like all of Sarah Alderson books The Sound sneaks up on you, making you grin goofily and start drawing I <3 Jesse's on your notebook before you even realize it.

And I totally appreciate the fact that Sarah Alderson accepts this book is extremely cheesy and makes full references to that. And poking fun at Twilight. Just the book we love to hate.

Character wise, nobody stands out except Ren and Jesse. And most of the times I felt like decking them book with a mean right hook too. But that was the part of their charm except for the butterflies Ren got from Jeremy - I WANTED to pummel her then. And the plot was nothing to write home about either. A light fun read but with just the right amount of suspense to keep you hooked - doesn't mean it ain't totally guessable.

But I liked the way Alderson focused on little details on the writing. The setting was beautiful with the ocean and beach backdrop and makes the perfect summer read. I would've preferred to have more music references though - not that I'm complaining. But the best part of the book was the chemistry between Jesse and Ren. That was what actually won me over.

I thought I'd see at least something about Psys here (I'd heard rumors that this is in the same world as the Lila series) but this is a honest to god realistic fiction though Jesse is too good to be true. I really enjoy Alderson's quirky light way of writing so despite being a perfect embodiment of everything I detest in a book, I did kind of enjoy it.

You can call it my guilty pleasure. Haha

3.25 Stars - The extra quarter solely for Jesse.

Oh, and this is a New Adult book with no graphic sex but enough sexual tension. Another win.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound.

July 28, 2013 – Shelved
July 28, 2013 – Shelved as: not-yet-released
August 20, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
August 25, 2013 – Started Reading
page 1
0.32% "I can't stop staring at zat cover.. O_O"
13.0% "
Why did he invite me? And why did he spend most the night talking to me if he doesn’t like me? And if he likes me does he like me like me or just like me? And do I even care? Even listening to my internal dialogue makes me want to smack my head repeatedly against the dashboard. Do boys ever have internal discussions like this one or are their thoughts just boobs boobs boobs?
Haha."
30.0% "Hahahahhahahahaahahaha."
August 25, 2013 –
32.0% "I'm annoyed. You're flirting with the wrong dude Ren. You're s'posed go with m'boy Jesse. :|"
37.0% "
I refuse to be a cliché. I refuse, point blank, to fall for the hot, moody guy with anger issues. Is my name Bella Swann? Am I the protagonist of every paranormal romance lining the shelves of Waterstones? No. I am not.
Seeing this unravel is going to be so much fun."
August 25, 2013 –
43.0% "You iz dumb. Think about Jesse. Jesse."
August 25, 2013 –
64.0% "I hate love triangles. Especially when they cram themselves in the stories where they should not exist. Die Jeremy Die."
August 25, 2013 –
73.0% "This is such a I-told-you-so moment that I can't even..."
August 25, 2013 – Shelved as: cheesy-maccheese