Liza Wiemer's Reviews > The Infinite Moment of Us

The Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle

3152001

bookshelves: ala, arc, bea, post-about-the-book-on-my-blog

The intensity of love, finding your soulmate and fumbling through that deep connection. This is a novel about the confusion of what it takes to get to know a person whom you not only find attractive, but touches your soul. Trust, faith, true love, sex. A forever relationship.

This was a strong story from the perspective of what it takes to fumble in a relationship and to forge the bonds emotionally, spiritually, mentally, and physically. In order to forge those bonds to have a forever relationship, it takes a lot of work!!!!!!!! (Forever is my term. There is no promise of that, but I think it's implied that this is what Wren and Charlie are trying to build/create with one another.)

There is a tremendous amount of value to this novel for both girls and boys who feel unsure of their connection with a person that they love. When do you take the next step? How do you know you're ready? What does it mean to be soulmates? Do you believe in soulmates? (For the record, I absolutely do!)

Strengths of this novel:
1. The way Wren and Charlie communicate with each other. It's not perfect, they make mistakes, but I think it's authentic and a lot of YA can learn from them.
2. Wren's overpowering parents and her incredible determination to step out of their shadow.
3. Charlie's "unique" family.
4. Learning to accept a person's strengths and weaknesses and to be honest about your own.
5. The beauty of the soul, the beauty of the body - one that shouldn't be "shared" lightly. Sex is a very powerful connector. It also can be very damaging and unhealthy. I think the distinction is made very clear in this novel.
6. Charlie's brother is an amazing person.
7. The tough decisions Wren has to make about her future.
8. The realization that Charlie finally has that he deserves true love in his life.
9. Relationships-soulmates, family, friendships-can be messy. But with true love/ a soulmate, one can overcome a tremendous amount pain and difficulty.
10. I admire that Wren asked Charlie to go get tested before they took the next step in their relationship. And that she took responsibility for the birth control.

In my opinion, THE INFINITE MOMENT OF US is a healthy novel that will help many YA who don't have anyone to discuss finding a soulmate, true love, the mechanics of sex etc. It's only one perspective. Could it have be done differently? Sure, and it has!! There are many amazing books about true love and soulmates and sex with a different storyline. (Some of the best, in my opinion, are EASY by Tammara Webber, PERFECT CHEMISTRY by Simone Elkeles, MY LIFE NEXT DOOR by HUNTLEY FITZPATRICK, and Katie McGarry's novels PUSHING THE LIMITS and DARE YOU TO, and IF I STAY, WHERE SHE WENT, and JUST ONE DAY by Gayle Forman. There's also Susane Colasati's ALL I NEED or STAY by Deb Caletti!) There are more, and if I reviewed my feed, I'd find them. The ones in this list came to my mind almost instantly.

The point is, THE INFINITE MOMENT OF US is its own story and will speak to YA. But it's not for everyone and that's okay. There's more to gain than to lose and if it makes people uncomfortable, I think it's good that it evokes healthy discussion about relationships and sexuality, with or without reading the novel. I hope parents will take notice and discuss love, sex, soulmates, relationships in a positive, less clinical way that is often heard in sex-ed classes. You don't have to read this novel. That's the beauty of living in America and free speech.

A comment: Terminology. I don't have a problem with penis instead of dick. Why is dick better? Why should YA call a penis-dick? Really? Is that more hip or trendy or cool? Yes, this comes up in the novel. Call it whatever you want. But with "respectful" sexuality, it should be what you're comfortable with. A teen once told me that she and her friends had over twenty words for it.

I have a feeling that this novel will make some adults very uncomfortable, a lot more uncomfortable than teens. That's too bad. I hope adults will read it. After that, if they're not comfortable having their child read it, then talk with their YA about the issues that come up in this book-true love, soulmates, sexuality. Sadly, I expect, like Myracle's other novel SHINE, there will be people who will want to ban it. Go for it. Teens will want it more than ever. Thank G-d I live in America!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Infinite Moment of Us.

Started Reading
July 27, 2013 – Shelved
July 27, 2013 – Shelved as: ala
July 27, 2013 – Shelved as: arc
July 27, 2013 – Shelved as: bea
July 27, 2013 – Finished Reading
September 11, 2013 – Shelved as: post-about-the-book-on-my-blog

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Rosengren This reminds me of Judy Blume's Forever, which came out a long time ago and was (it sounds like) much more delicate in its language but still was demonstrating the power of first love and the difficulty of determining when it's right for an individual or a couple to take that ultimate step in their relationship. I will have to read this now to compare them, but to my mind Lauren Myracle has such great talent that she made hard choices about how to tell this story in order to make sure it reached the readers who may most need to read it.

message 2: by Liza (new) - added it

Liza Wiemer You are so right, Gayle, and I've seen many novels compare FOREVER and THE INFINITE MOMENT OF US. The biggest difference was that when FOREVER came out, there was nothing else for us to turn to . . . so it was truly groundbreaking. This novel does take things to a different level for sure, but I am deeply grateful to the publishers that recognize the importance of highlighting for YA the importance of intimacy between two people who deeply love each other and not just for the sake of hooking up.