Amanda's Reviews > The Little Stranger

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

Aug 18, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2009, britain, fiction, mystery, booker-books, ghost-stories

I was too busy wanting this book to be something that it wasn't, that when I realized my frustration at the narrator was Water's intent and plot strategy, I couldn't get passed my disappointment to fully enjoy what she created.

I have read similar books, which I won't mention here for fear of ruining them with the comparison, but this too may have played into my reading/opinion/frustration at The Little Stranger.

I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend this book, but if you want to read a slightly chilling tale on a cold, gray, day you could do worse. But you would do better to think of this as a depressing tale told of England following WWII, with a touch of the paranormal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Stranger.

August 18, 2009 – Shelved
August 26, 2010 – Shelved as: booker-books
October 4, 2011 – Shelved as: ghost-stories

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

letterbyletter Well said, Amanda. I also closed the last page feeling disappointed with the book.

Mark Good review and I wholeheartedly agree with you. As a ghost story it inimpressed

Jennifer Couldn't agree more

Sharon Reeves I agree the ending was disappointing, and I did feel let down.

Denise Dougherty Just finished this book - which was my first by this author. The ending was what earned my 2 1/2 stars. The suspense built led me only to a deflated end. Most disappointing. Was the doctor the link or was he not? Ultimately, I didn't care at the end.