Alicia at Mean Girls Luv Books's Reviews > Searching for Tomorrow

Searching for Tomorrow by Kathryn McNeill Crane

bookshelves: 2013-faves, mglb

Searching for Tomorrow by Kathryn McNeill Crane is 5 Heartbreakingly, Beautiful Hearts. This is the author’s debut novel and she conquers contemporary romance with a vengeance with her fresh new voice. This is such a beautiful story about first and true love. It shows that with strength and commitment, love can truly overcome the most difficult and trying obstacles. Love helps you push through and carries you when you are at your lowest moments.

I love how the author has written this book in both the past and the present. We see her today as she journeys through her grief and heals and gains strength. But concurrently, we get to see Wrynn and Tripp’s journey as first, childhood playmates, best friends, and then eventually a couple. You can’t help but fall in love with these two. You get to experience first love through them. It is such a true and beautiful love. Their love for each other is so special and precious since they are the only love the other has known.

In order to pull this great story together, the author created fabulous characters. What can I say about them but, love, love, love them! Well, all of them except for one…Mrs. Tidwell or Mother Tidwell as Wrynn is made to call her. I absolutely loathe this woman. She is rude, hateful, and stuck up. She is without any redeeming qualities. She has always been an awful mother to Tripp and she is even more awful to Wrynn and her family. More than once I wanted to slap this lady.

Everyone else in the story is just awesome! Let’s start with Wrynn. She is someone that I believe every woman can identify with at some point. Whether it is the love sick teenager, the determined wife, pregnant mother to be, or the harried mother, the author captures the essence of what it is to be a woman in this one character. My heart breaks for Wrynn and her three little girls. After her husband, Tripp, dies during a mission for the Army, she is broken. He was her best friend. Her soul mate. Her everything. Her dreams die with him. The magnitude of her grief is felt so heavily as she tries to go through the motions of everyday life. It is for her girls, her 3 heartbeats as she calls them, that she struggles to heal and have a semblance of a normal life.

Tripp is every girl’s dream come true. He is everything you want in a boyfriend or husband. He lives for Wrynn and dotes on her. Once he becomes a father, he just melts your heart. His love for his babies is so sweet. Within himself, he feels the need to protect and serve, not only his family, but also the country. His drive and commitment to the Army is very commendable. Through the two, we witness the hardships of being a military family.

Then we have Liam, Wrynn’s twin brother and Tripp’s best friend. I absolutely adore Liam. He is such a good guy. I know that this is Wrynn and Tripp’s story, but I wish we could have seen a little more of Liam’s side of things. But, that’s what the second book of the series is for! (Eep! I can hardly wait!) Anyway, he is such a good brother. He is always there for Wrynn as a best friend, baby sitter, protector, or, my favorite, spider killer. (I totally share Wrynn’s fear of those 8 legged creatures!) I can’t wait to get to know him some more.

Liam and Wrynn’s parents are the glue for these characters. They hold them together and are always there for them. Where Tripp’s mother was lacking (in everything,) they picked up the slack and basically raised him as their own. They are such wonderful people and role models. I love how they instilled morals in all three of them, and gently, guided them to always do right.

This is story telling at its finest. Kathryn McNeill Crane has a beautiful way of tearing your heart out and ripping it to shreds, but at the same time building it up and making you fall in love. I was totally shattered one minute, laughing another. This is a story about life. It can be messy, hard, and complicated, and no matter how much you would like it to just stop or go back, it just keeps moving and sweeping you along. This also reminds us that during the hard times, there are also moments of unspeakable joy; you just have to let yourself see them. This isn’t a book that you should just add to your “to be read” list and read later, It is a “move it to the top, gotta read it now” book!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Searching for Tomorrow.

July 27, 2013 – Shelved