Nasty Lady MJ's Reviews > Mrs. Maddox

Mrs. Maddox by Jamie McGuire

bookshelves: turnips
Recommended to Nasty Lady MJ by: Some Poor Soul
Recommended for: Sheep

WTF another one of these? Seriously. So whose POV is this one going to be the dog's, the bratty kids, the cafeteria lady who has to witness Travis trying to get his Troy on?

I honestly don't care. Since it will obviously be some variant on the same shitty story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Maddox.

July 27, 2013 – Shelved as: namby-pamby
November 23, 2013 – Shelved as: city-walk
November 23, 2013 – Shelved as: city-walk
December 29, 2016 – Shelved as: ew-gross
December 29, 2016 – Shelved as: turnips

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)

message 1: by Bernmoll (new)

Bernmoll Maybe in this one, Travis punches the florist for delivering the wrong flowers. And then he punches Abby's college advisor because she was smiling at him during a meeting. And they get all liquored up for valentine's day but all wake up early the next day and ace all their exams!

Kassie I don't get it. If you hated the first one, why read the second (assuming you did since you hate it so much)? Also, why take the time to come to this page just to write rude things about people's work? Lastly, you need to get better at reading descriptions, this is a five page little snippet just for fun. No offense intended, just curious as to all the silly hateful words.

message 3: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Nov 07, 2013 10:34PM) (new) - added it

Nasty Lady MJ Kassie wrote: "I don't get it. If you hated the first one, why read the second (assuming you did since you hate it so much)? Also, why take the time to come to this page just to write rude things about people's w..."

Um, it's my review that's why. Did I comment on your five star review of why you liked five pages, no? Also, since I invested my time in reading the other works by McGuire since I wanted to see a) why they were popular and b) if Travis's POV would explain his douchiness I think I have every right to write my opinion on why I won't be reading it regardless of the description.

Now please go be a condescending moron to someone else, I really don't have time for you.

message 4: by Sada (new) - added it

Sada Maciel No respect!!!

Lorna I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion! sometimes I think people rave about how fantastic a book is when its utter rubbish, in my opinion!
is that not what this site is about??? honest reviews....
I however did really like these books, mrs maddox being infuriatingly short and kinda pointless, but respect the fact that u didn't! actually find it interesting to read different peoples opinions on books I've read!

Kassie Actually, you're right. Not really sure why I decided to randomly nag you about your post (totally forgot I had). People are entitled to their own opinions no matter what they may be. I've always felt that way so I'm not really sure what I was thinking on that rather close minded day of mine. Either way, I wasn't meaning offense by it so sorry if that's how it was taken.

message 7: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Nov 23, 2013 07:59AM) (new) - added it

Nasty Lady MJ @Kassie, I accept your apology.

@Amanda. Really? Rude and nasty because I stated my feelings on how ridiculous a short story to this stupid book would be. I'm going to be rude and nasty right now when I tell you that I don't give a fuck about what your so called guidelines for a review are. And really as being a member of the industry, you should know that reviews in various shapes and forms are going to appear. Oh, and I screenshot your comment, fyi in case it goes "missing".

message 8: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Nov 23, 2013 08:34AM) (new) - added it

Nasty Lady MJ Amanda wrote: "Appreciate it and I know reviews come in all forms however you literally typed 'in a shitty story'

Negative reviews are fine, opinions fine but there is a way to state them so that they are const..."

1. I am describing how I feel about the book. There's no review guidelines that says I can't use the word shitty. There's no law saying I can't type in shitty story. And I do think Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster are both shitty. I read both of them I'm entitled to my own onion.

2. So shitty isn't constructive? Really? Because I just thought it was a description. So what sort of descriptions are constructive? Would the book was atrocious, horrible. demeaning to women, misogynic work? So I should choose different adjectives? What are you the language police? I used this sort of language when workshoping various stories for my creative writing classes in college, and might I add I graduated with high honors.

3. All I will have to say it's bad business sense to attack your future readers. And yes, I probably would've been a future reader but now I'm not.

message 9: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW Amanda wrote: "Appreciate it and I know reviews come in all forms however you literally typed 'in a shitty story'

Actually, she said "the same shitty story." Let me parse this for you. She thought the first TWO versions of this story were shitty, and therefore concluded (reasonably, in my opinion) that this recyled, warmed-over, retread, lousy remake, would also be the same: i.e., shitty. Were there other, bigger, fancier words she could've used?

Those were included above.

Also, if Ms. McGuires rabid fans can rate books she hasn't even written 5-stars, then readers who find her work terrible can point that out, too.

message 10: by Summer (new)

Summer Amanda wrote: "Appreciate it and I know reviews come in all forms however you literally typed 'in a shitty story'

Well. There goes your career as an author. You do know that by annoying/harrassing other reviewers, you're basically just losing readers? You must be new here, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Let me say this in plain terms: THERE IS NO CORRECT WAY TO WRITE A REVIEW. And you know what? If you're trying to become successful as an author, or become successful in any business really, you should be a bit scared at saying your opinion, if not a bit hesitant. Here at goodreads, if you harass one of us, you're harrassing all of us. So don't expect me or any of my friends to read your books. No matter how much you beg us to, I will not give my money to author who is rude, and no way in hell would I ignore any author's atrocious behavior when choosing books to buy.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Summer {is now a Gryffindor} wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Appreciate it and I know reviews come in all forms however you literally typed 'in a shitty story'

message 12: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Nov 23, 2013 09:31AM) (new) - added it

Nasty Lady MJ Amanda wrote: "It was meant to be harassing however as in opinion I do feel there is a way to write a review, trash talking an author is one of the ways to not write one, in this case I was defending an author I ..."

Oh, please. I wasn't "trashing" Jamie McGuire. I was talking about her books which I find to be puerile garbage. Furthermore, you have no idea what the definition is of harassment, Amanda. A bad review isn't the same as harassment. Harassment is where you don't feel comfortable going to school because you know that you'll be insistently picked on and when you complain the teacher will turn a blind eye. I know, I experienced that. I'm sure Jamie McGuire isn't looking at this review and bawling her eyes out. She's probably using all that money she suckered out of people to buy a new ski cabin somewhere and work on another shitty NA book. And yes, I used the term shitty.

message 13: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW Amanda wrote: "It was meant to be harassing however as in opinion I do feel there is a way to write a review, trash talking an author is one of the ways to not write one, in this case I was defending an author I ..."

The point is that you are free to say whatever you want. But NA is a thing in large part because a relatively small number of readers read a lot of it. Most mainstream readers have never heard of it. So, if you piss off a swath of NA readers on GR, that may have consequences to you.

So, yeah, if you want to spend some of your personal capital defending Jamie McGuire, go ahead. You might regret it. You might not.

message 14: by Christine PNW (last edited Nov 23, 2013 09:56AM) (new)

Christine PNW Amanda wrote: "(All Hail) Grimlock wrote: "Huh. No wonder Amanda doesn't want anyone commenting on shitty writing. Took a look at one of her books. Multiple errors within the first couple of paragraphs. L..."

So, in other words, you saw a bandwagon and wanted to jump on it before it was too late. You therefore put out a second- or third-rate product, and now you are trying to gin up controversy by pissing off reviewers.

It is the Lauren Pippa theory of marketing.

Nasty Lady MJ Amanda wrote: "(All Hail) Grimlock wrote: "Huh. No wonder Amanda doesn't want anyone commenting on shitty writing. Took a look at one of her books. Multiple errors within the first couple of paragraphs. L..."

From what I saw the errors were more than a little noticeable. Just saying. I have to say one of my biggest pet peeves is when authors publish work without taking the time to proofread it. People are paying for your work, Amanda. I know that when I read a book with multiple errors on it self pub or not it annoys me. I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

message 16: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW Howdy YAL wrote: "Amanda wrote: "(All Hail) Grimlock wrote: "Huh. No wonder Amanda doesn't want anyone commenting on shitty writing. Took a look at one of her books. Multiple errors within the first couple of ..."

She is using your review to try to get Jamie McGuires rabid fans to buy her books. Mark my words - being "attacked" is now a marketing method. You might want to consider deleting this whole thread.

She is getting what she wants. No one had heard of her silly book yesterday.

Nasty Lady MJ Moonlight Reader (only provides content to Booklikes) wrote: "Howdy YAL wrote: "Amanda wrote: "(All Hail) Grimlock wrote: "Huh. No wonder Amanda doesn't want anyone commenting on shitty writing. Took a look at one of her books. Multiple errors within t..."

Pretty sure you're right about that. Dear lord....all I intended when I wrote this was to write down my opinion.

message 18: by Thalia (new)

Thalia This review has absolutely nothing to do with the author. It's an explanation for her shelving, for why she WON'T read it. I don't understand why everyone is getting their panties in a twist.

And no, most reviewers (that I know, at least) don't write their reviews for the author. Reviews are for readers and the person who wrote it. I think a lot of us will take that stand.

Nasty Lady MJ Amanda wrote: "Moonlight Reader (only provides content to Booklikes) wrote: "Howdy YAL wrote: "Amanda wrote: "(All Hail) Grimlock wrote: "Huh. No wonder Amanda doesn't want anyone commenting on shitty writing...."

Excuses. And I don't even care. All I know is that if I tried to use the excuse but I wrote my memo while I was tired to a law professor I'd have my ass chewed out. And they're not paying me money, I'm paying them money.

message 20: by Alisa (last edited Nov 23, 2013 10:50AM) (new) - added it

Alisa I thought authors finally realized they were being idiots! And then this pops up on my thread.

@Amanda

You do realize you're just getting readers away from your "novel", right?

There. I warned you, but you're not going to listen, since that's what all people like you do. Now I'll remind you that:

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Oh, FFS. When are you authors going to understand that your books are not an extension of your person? Nor are they your babies, your pets, or any other living thing that can be personally hurt or offended by someone thinking they're shitty? Regardless of what you tell yourself.

And, Amanda, what is your beef with punctuation? Seriously? You do understand that because you're a GRs author, therefore participating in a professional capacity, anything you post here will most likely be looked at as an example of your writing abilities and professionalism, yeah?

Also, seeing how the majority of people who are going be buying your books and ultimately furthering your career will be readers and not authors, you'd think you'd be a little more concerned with their opinions and rights as readers. At least publicly.

I'd also like to take a second to personally welcome your books to my 'wouldn't pee on it if it was on fire' shelf. Don't, worry. They'll be in good company there.

@Howdy, I'm sorry you had to deal with this crap. It's truly getting tiresome and you definitely don't deserve it.

message 22: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW Amanda wrote: "Moonlight Reader (only provides content to Booklikes) wrote: "Howdy YAL wrote: "Amanda wrote: "(All Hail) Grimlock wrote: "Huh. No wonder Amanda doesn't want anyone commenting on shitty writing...."

Zahara Cerise ~ Never impeached. Moonlight Reader (only provides content to Booklikes) wrote: The vast majority of authors work day jobs and write during their "free" time. Many of them have full-time jobs, and are mothers as well. Do you seriously think "I am tired" or "I have kids" is a good excuse for offering a shoddy work product for sale?

Not only that, but it shows that many current self-published authors don't consider their books to be important. If they produced such shoddy work in their full-time jobs, they'd likely be fired. But since they don't consider writing to be a "real" job, they think they can get away with crap and an excuse.

People who consider their writing important take the time and care needed to produce a work worthy of asking people to pay for. If crap and an excuse is all an author is willing to offer, then they should offer it for free.

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Angela wrote: "As a mother of 4, grandmother of 1, I find it actually offensive for "authors", especially if they are a parent themselves, to liken their "book", a commercial product, to their babies."

Yeah, that pisses me off too. I also hate when they act like having a job or a family or fucking pms excuses their behavior.

As if we don't all have jobs, families, bills, bosses, and a million other stresses.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Amanda wrote: "Sure you are entitled to your opinion but there is a big a difference in a review because you don't like something and being downright rude and nasty"

Now see, that's the beauty of Goodreads. It gives the user a personal space for his or her opinion, no matter how valid or invalid it may be.

Do you think I find COVER REVEAL reviews useful? Do you think I find "THIS BOOK IS FANTASTIC. READ IT NOW" reviews useful? Do you think I find "THIS BOOK IS ABSOLUTE CRAP" reviews useful? No. No. No.

And yet I keep my opinion to myself and I don't go complaining on those reviews, because it is their review and I don't have a right to complain about it. I respect their space, and I expect others to do the same. It is a valid review no matter what unless it constitutes an unwarranted and foul attack.

message 26: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Angela wrote: "As a mother of 4, grandmother of 1, I find it actually offensive for "authors", especially if they are a parent themselves, to liken their "book", a commercial product, to their babies."

This. 1000 times this.

message 27: by Rose (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rose Khanh (ranting and Ravenclaw) wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Sure you are entitled to your opinion but there is a big a difference in a review because you don't like something and being downright rude and nasty"

Now see, that's the beauty of ..."

I feel like many people don't understand the concept of "take what's useful to you, leave the rest" when it comes to criticism. Works don't need to be defended - it should be able to stand for itself. If people like it they like it, they like it, if they don't, then they don't. Either way, the freedom of expression is there.

Amanda had absolutely no right to enter upon YAL's space to lecture her on how to write this reflection. It's useful feedback and it's asserting her opinion. I, for one, found it useful, and even if I loathe Jamie McGuire's writing with the power of a thousand somethings, I can understand and respect there are people who feel differently from me. I'm not going to attack someone individually because they loved or hated a work.

I wish more authors realized the importance of letting a review/reflection of a book by an individual person alone, and how condescending, rude, and intimidating it is to be told how to express an opinion when the freedom is already there and should be recognized.

You can walk away from a negative review on a book. Always. But you have to be secure enough, as an author, to let the criticism stand on its own and let the work stand on its own.

I keep thinking that the people who keep on jumping in to try to defend their work (or other's works) have issues of control over criticism and what it truly means. If you're working in the writing industry in any capacity - that is not a problem you want to have.

Nasty Lady MJ Well, the comments have been deleted. Seems either GR deleted Amanda's account or she did. Another blog post was written, I noticed prior before the account got removed. I took a screenshot on my Kindle and I'll try to upload it to my regular computer but it was basically more of the same b.s.

message 29: by Rose (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rose Howdy YAL wrote: "Well, the comments have been deleted. Seems either GR deleted Amanda's account or she did. Another blog post was written, I noticed prior before the account got removed. I took a screenshot on m..."

She must have just did it because the comments were still up when I posted. =/

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Howdy YAL wrote: "Well, the comments have been deleted. Seems either GR deleted Amanda's account or she did. Another blog post was written, I noticed prior before the account got removed. I took a screenshot on m..."

Please do, Howdy. I missed both and I'm curious what she had to say. Though, I think I can imagine the gist. :-)

message 31: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Nov 24, 2013 10:03AM) (new) - added it

Nasty Lady MJ Here's the screenshot of her blog post I took (if it mysteriously disappears, I'm also going to post it on my BL page as well)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Howdy YAL wrote: "Here's the screenshot of the blog post I took (if it mysteriously disappears, I'm also going to post it on my BL page)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us"

"All that in account does not mean I am a bad writer. It means I edited late at night because I have kids and my Husband is Navy and I am currently a single parent while he is gone."

No, your lack of ability and understanding of basic grammar and sentence structure, as well as punctuation, mean you're a bad writer. The rest means your writing, and readers who will be buying your book, aren't all that important, simply putting the book up for sale is.

Also, I'm wondering if her husband is possibly her Dom or something, too. Why is husband capitalized?

message 33: by Nasty Lady MJ (last edited Nov 24, 2013 11:10AM) (new) - added it

Nasty Lady MJ TinaNicole (Le Book Nikita) wrote: "Howdy YAL wrote: "Here's the screenshot of the blog post I took (if it mysteriously disappears, I'm also going to post it on my BL page)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us"

"All that in account do..."

According to her rules of proper review etiquette, one must capitalize husband since it the only way to show respect. Rolls eyes. And to think I was hoping that this shit was over with.

Crystal Pittman how effin rude of you "howdy y'all"! if you aren't a fan then why come here spreading your negativity!

message 35: by Alisa (new) - added it

Alisa Crystal wrote: "how effin rude of you "howdy y'all"! if you aren't a fan then why come here spreading your negativity!"

Dear "Crystal"

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Alisa (The Reading Obsession) wrote: "Crystal wrote: "how effin rude of you "howdy y'all"! if you aren't a fan then why come here spreading your negativity!"

Dear "Crystal"

"

Ha! That actually made me snort. So very gross, but so very appropriate. :-)

message 37: by Alisa (new) - added it

Alisa I saw that picture, and I was like, "Perfect timing."

Zahara Cerise ~ Never impeached. Crystal wrote: "how effin rude of you "howdy y'all"! if you aren't a fan then why come here spreading your negativity!"

It's called a review. Perhaps you've heard of them. Or maybe not.

They're these things where people tell how they feel about a book. And surprise, surprise ~ they don't have to be fans. Will wonders never cease?

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Alisa (The Reading Obsession) wrote: "I saw that picture, and I was like, "Perfect timing.""

It was fate. A Christmas miracle. ;-)

message 40: by TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ (last edited Dec 15, 2013 05:19PM) (new)

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Zahara wrote: "Crystal wrote: "how effin rude of you "howdy y'all"! if you aren't a fan then why come here spreading your negativity!"

It's called a review. Perhaps you've heard of them. Or maybe not.

They're t..."

I only skimmed, but it looks like a Crystal is a fan of the 'ZOMG!!' 'Looooooooove!!', 'BeZt BoOk EvAh!!' and the always underused '!!!!!!!!!!!!!'' style of reviewing.

She probably just doesn't understand. Be nice. ;-)

eta: I also love how she says 'why do you have to come here spreading your negativity!' Uh, who came where? I thought this was Howdy's review? *sigh*

message 41: by Alisa (new) - added it

Alisa TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ wrote: "Zahara wrote: "Crystal wrote: "how effin rude of you "howdy y'all"! if you aren't a fan then why come here spreading your negativity!"

It's called a review. Perhaps you've heard of them. Or maybe ..."

But Tina! Don't you understand that Goodreads is a government conspiracy that completely obliterates free speech? And the only thing reviews are good for are for promotion of the author?

But don't be mean to Crystal, at least she can spell and use proper grammar! Isn't she such a smart girl?

*Re-looks at her post*
Oh.

message 42: by TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ (last edited Dec 15, 2013 05:30PM) (new)

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Alisa (The Reading Obsession) wrote: "TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ wrote: "Zahara wrote: "Crystal wrote: "how effin rude of you "howdy y'all"! if you aren't a fan then why come here spreading your negativity!"

It's called a review. P..."

Well, someone has to stand up for books and their authors. I mean, people can not like certain books all they want. Going around and saying it out loud is a totally different story, though. Esp, on a site to discuss books. That's just rude.

I've heard negativity is contagious, too. Do you have any idea how many Howdy could've infected by now? It'll be like the Black Plague all over again!

Down with negativity! Up with...uh...exclamation points! Woot-Woot!

message 43: by Alisa (new) - added it

Alisa Oh, my God! You're right! Howdy's hilarious and amazing reviews definitely are spreading negativity. We all probably worship the devil and go around kicking puppies.

*casually hides shih tzu behind back

And, because we need to definitely not blind people and make the wish we never had access to the internet, HEER R SUM BDLY SPLLD WORDS,,, AND HORIBLE GRAMER!!!!!!!!!!! N WE CANT FORGET THE ESCLAMASHUN POINTS AND CAPITAL LETTERS!!!!!!!!!

I think I just managed to blind myself. Please excuse me whilst I give myself a lobotomy.

TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ Alisa (The Reading Obsession) wrote: "Oh, my God! You're right! Howdy's hilarious and amazing reviews definitely are spreading negativity. We all probably worship the devil and go around kicking puppies.

*casually hides shih tzu behin..."

Oh, shit. I was thinking about how much I wish I had a puppy so I could kick it right before you posted that.

Oh noeeeeeees! I iz infekded!!1! It 2 late for me. RuN, saVe urSelfs!!!2!!1

PS: LMAO at your shouty capital speak. Please don't self-lobotomize. Us meanies will miss you dearly. :-D

message 45: by Alisa (new) - added it

Alisa *snickers*

I love it how there's a random 2 in the middle of the exclamation marks.

And aww... Thank you.
*hugs*

Nasty Lady MJ Ah, I missed all the fun it seems. I'm just glad that my negativity has spread throughout the world. My evil plan is working. The more McGuire fangirls that are disheartened by this cold cruel review means world domination is closer and closer.

message 48: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Dec 15, 2013 07:38PM) (new)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Crystal wrote: "how effin rude of you "howdy y'all"! if you aren't a fan then why come here spreading your negativity!"

Late but... Don't look at a mirror anytime soon, Crystal Pittman. You'll shatter it to a gazillion pieces w/ your comment.

*facepalm @ idiocy of people who don't realise their own words are kicking back at 'em*

Zahara Cerise ~ Never impeached. TinaNicole ☠ Le Book Nikita ☠ wrote: "

"

Mwah-haha!

I mean, um, I didn't place that ad. It wasn't me.

*I wonder if I should have left out the costumes part. No sense wasting good material when they're only going to die, anyway.*

Zahara Cerise ~ Never impeached. (All Hail) Grimlock wrote: Ehhh... costumes and laser death rays? I'll wait for the fascist psychopath who offers me my own customized battle mech."

*I knew those costumes wouldn't be a good selling point. I wonder if I can entice them with borrowed customized battle mechs, whatever those are. They'd have to promise not to touch them with their real fingers.*

« previous 1