Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance's Reviews > The Gold Bug Variations

The Gold Bug Variations by Richard Powers

Aug 18, 2009

bookshelves: must-read, creativity, relationships
Read in January, 1993

The title is a warning to the casual reader: If you don't get the title, or if you don't want to get the title,
beware."

In The Gold Bug Variations, author Richard Powers perspicaciously composes a novel with themes of puzzles (Edgar Allen Poe's The Gold Bug), music structure (Bach's Goldberg Variations), romance (two love stories that intertwine across twenty-five years), computer technology, art history, and DNA genetic codes. I remember reading this book when it was first published, maybe twenty years ago, feeling like I'd plunged into the deepest and most bewitching lake on earth, hopelessly unable to surface for 638 pages, desperate for a breath of air, powerless to return to the top of the water, smitten with the sparkle of the words all around me, bewildered by the enigmatic story, in awe of the intelligence of the writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gold Bug Variations.

11/04/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Zee (new) - added it

Zee Who would want to reach the surface if a book is THAT good? I wouldn't. Ok, you've sold it to me. Poe spliced with Bach is too tempting to resist.

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance Let me know what you think.