QNPoohBear's Reviews > Miss Buncle's Book

Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson

bookshelves: clean-romance, historical-fiction, kisses-only, historical-romance

Miss Barbara Buncle is a poor spinster living in the English country village of Silverstream where nothing ever happens and nothing ever will. When the Depression comes to Silverstream, Miss Buncle has to do something to earn money so she takes up her pen to write a book. She pens a novel about Silverstream and the inhabitants of the town. A London publisher, Mr. Arthur Abbott, loves the book so much, he decides to publish it. He can't decide if the author is a satirical genius or a simpleton. Either way, the public will eat up the book. Well, the inhabitants of Silverstream do not take kindly to the representations of their true selves in the novel. What's more, they object strongly to the second half of the novel when a golden boy pipes an erotic tune that makes everyone behave in fits of passion. "John Smith," the author of the novel, becomes public enemy #1 in Silverstream. Not everyone finds the novel offensive, but poor Barbara lives in fear of the villagers learning she is the author and of what will happen to her when they find out. Kind, sympathetic Mr. Abbott has the perfect solution.

There are so many quirky characters and plot situations in this book and in the fictional counterpart, that it would be impossible to describe them all. The quaint English village is along the lines of Cranford where everyone knows everyone else's business but pretends not to. I found the plot very charming and lots of fun. I couldn't put the book down. I had to know what happened to poor Barbara. My only real problem with this book is that the characters are all stereotypes, especially the women. The book was written in the 1930s when attitudes were different, but I had a hard time accepting the demureness of the women. Some of them have hidden depths and the younger women represent the independence and freedom of the Bright Young Things generation. I highly recommend this book to those of you bluestockings who enjoy Jane Austen, Elizabeth Gaskell, BBC period shows and English villages. You don't want to miss this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Buncle's Book.

Started Reading