Bree's Reviews > Morningsong

Morningsong by Shelly Beach

it was ok
bookshelves: 2009, first-reads, fiction

I decided to give this one another go, since last time I DNF'd it without getting too far into it. It didn't fare much better - the only thing that I can say is that I read it. Though I found myself skimming at the very end just to get it over with.

I didn't realize when I entered the giveaway that it was a Christian book - I don't usually read them because, to put it nicely, Christianity is not my thing. So the fact that God was all over the book was a little bit tedious to slog through.

Mostly I just didn't connect with the characters. Not because of all the religious overtones, exactly, but they just felt very "old". I know that a couple of them ARE old but they acted younger than the ones who are only slightly older than me. Mona acted like she was 80, but really is mid-40? Hallie is 16 and acts way older. I don't know, just the way it was written, the ages seemed arbitrary and didn't really fit the characters at all.

Mona drove me crazy with her flip-flopping about Adam. In the space of a day she could go from loving him and not wanting to be without him, then deciding he was too good for her, and back several times. It was infuriating! Yes, I get that she has a health issue, but he was fully aware of it the entire time, and really, it was his decision to make! I kept siding with Adam whenever Mona would do something stupid.

Then there's the fact that nothing actually happens through the entire book. Little things, yes, but absolutely nothing that made me happy that I read the book. It was just so...everyday.

So, I gave it a fair shot and it is definitely not my kind of book. I should have left it in the DNF pile, but something was nagging at me to try again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Morningsong.

August 17, 2009 – Shelved