Natalie Monroe's Reviews > Siege and Storm

Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

“Watch yourself, Nikolai,” Mal said softly. “Princes bleed just like other men.”

Nikolai plucked an invisible piece of dust from his sleeve. “Yes,” he said. “They just do it in better clothes.”

I'd like to say Siege and Storm's higher rating is because of the better writing and Alina's exploration of her dark side, but who am I kidding? They're for Nikolai, aka Prince Perfect, aka "sweetheart or handsome", aka Thief of Whatever's Left of My Heart After Kaz Fucking Brekker Raided It.

He's the perfect balance between Mal and the Darkling. Nikolai has the Darkling's ambition and strategic mind, but knows where to draw the line. He's also otkazat'sya, normal, not Grisha. Instead of whining about it though, he invents flying ships and plays to his strengths. He has Mal's humor, expanded a thousand times over, with a bit of roguish charm thrown in.

I've read Ruin and Rising. I ship Nikolai and Alina to the farthest edge of the sea.

Mal, Mal, Mal. *sigh* I thought he was boring in Shadow and Bone. He was just there, like a footstool or a mushroom. Here, he's the biggest wankdouchenozzle that ever walked the literary earth since Jeb from Splintered. I sympathized with his feelings of inadequacy and purposelessness up until the last third of the book, where he basically admitted he wanted Alina to go back to the way she was: ordinary and powerless.

Go fuck yourself, Mal. Alina's power is a part of her now and you can't cut it out like ex-friends in a photo. Be a Rhys and shape up. I understand what Bardugo is getting at, the antithesis to the Darkling's lust for power and Nikolai's ambition, the only boy who loves Alina for who she is, not her power. But he's just the other extreme.

Oh, look, another opportunity to express my approval of Nikolai and Alina.

In terms of plot, Siege and Storm suffers from slight Second Book Syndrome. It's mainly a "training montage", like so many predecessor YA novels. The heroine has discovered there is an evil plot afoot in the first book and in the second one, she gathers supporters/trains/gets to know her love interest(s) more before buckling down for the Boss Fight in book 3. If it weren't for the introduction of Nikolai, it would have been a very boring novel.

Oops, I did it again. One more gif. Go on, indulge me.

I'm not entirely certain Alina, a teenager with zero experience in warfare and politics, should lead the Second Army, but I do like that they address it rather than simply letting her have her way like in Ignite Me for #feminism. Alina leads because she's the Sun Summoner and Grisha respect power. I can get behind that.

The Darkling makes a few appearances, though they carry a mild fanservice tone. Everyone loves the Darkling, so Alina/Darkling has to be shoved in somewhere. (view spoiler)

Nikolai is my one and only choice.

... I did it again, didn't I?

My review of Shadow and Bone
My review of Ruin and Rising

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Siege and Storm.

Quotes Natalie Liked

Leigh Bardugo
“I want to kiss you,” Nikolai said. “But I won’t. Not until you’re thinking of me instead of trying to forget him.”

Leigh Bardugo
“The Darkling will hunt you for the rest of your days."
"Then you and I will have something in common, won't we? Besides, I like to have powerful enemies. Makes me feel important."
Mal crossed his arms and considered the privateer. "I can't decide if you're crazy or stupid."
"I have so many good qualities," Sturmhond said. "It can be hard to choose.”

Leigh Bardugo
“I took a breath. “Your highness—”
“Nikolai,” he corrected. “But I’ve also been known to answer to ‘sweetheart’ or ‘handsome.”

Leigh Bardugo
“And there's no way I'm leaving you alone with Prince Perfect."
"So you don't trust me to resist his charms?"
"I don't even trust myself. I've never seen anyone work a crowd the way he does. I'm pretty sure the rocks and trees are getting ready to swear fealty to him.”

Leigh Bardugo
“Do you answer a question directly?"
"Hard to say. Ah, there, I've done it again”
leigh bardugo, Siege and Storm

Leigh Bardugo
“The ox feels the yoke, but does the bird feel the weight of its wings?”

Leigh Bardugo
“What is infinite? The universe and the greed of men.”

Leigh Bardugo
“That's a good fellow,' Sturmhond said to Ivan. 'Now, I'll take the prisoner back to her quarters, and you can run off and do . . . whatever it is you do when everyone else is working.'
Ivan scowled. 'I don't think—'
'Clearly. Why start now?”

Leigh Bardugo
“You just punched a prince, Alina. I guess we can add one more act of treason to our list.”
I shook out my sore hand. My knuckles smarted. “First of all, are we so sure he really is a prince? And second, you’re just jealous.”
“Of course I’m jealous. I thought I was going to get to punch him. That isn’t the point.”

Leigh Bardugo
“You two have a bad habit of acting like fools and calling it heroic.”

July 25, 2013 – Started Reading
June 5, 2017 – Started Reading
June 5, 2017 –
5.0% "THERE'S A ZEMINI CALLED JES HERE I AM FLIPPING OUT

June 6, 2017 –
30.0% "Everything that comes out of Nikolai's mouth is pure gold.

June 8, 2017 –

June 8, 2017 – Shelved as: when-sparks-don-t-fly
June 8, 2017 – Finished Reading
June 22, 2017 – Shelved as: awesome-author
September 17, 2017 – Shelved as: the-earth-is-flat

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you Great review. Sorry it didn't work for you. Fantasy is a hit or miss for me so I get what you're saying.

Natalie Monroe Veronica PARENTAL GUIDANCE ALERT: A Court of Mist and Fury is an EROTICA/NEW ADULT but most booktubers won't tell you wrote: "Great review. Sorry it didn't work for you. Fantasy is a hit or miss for me so I get what you're saying."

I'm going to put up a new review soon. I first read this in 2013. :P

hannah ✧/ᐠ-ꞈ-ᐟ\ (on hiatus) I remember shipping Alina and Nikolai so hard, but (view spoiler)

Natalie Monroe ❁ hannah (PB&B) ❁ wrote: "I remember shipping Alina and Nikolai so hard, but [spoilers removed]"

IT WAS.

~ Althea ~  ☾ Alina and Nikolai <33 (view spoiler)

Natalie Monroe ~ Althea ~ wrote: "Alina and Nikolai <33 [spoilers removed]"

I'm still meh about Alina, tbh hahaha. But Nikolai is bae.

~ Althea ~  ☾ Natalie wrote: "~ Althea ~ wrote: "Alina and Nikolai

I'm still meh about Alina, tbh hahaha. But Nikolai is bae."

yes same. I love them as Alina AND Nikolai.

Chelsea Humphrey This review is everythinf

Iryna *Book and Sword* Nikolai is my only choice too. Just not for Alina. For myself. 😂

Natalie Monroe Thanks, Chelsea! And Iryna, I might have to fight you for him. XD

Persassyizdabest I agree with your review. Nikolai was the highlight of the whole book. Personally, I think Alina should end up with the Darkling, so I can just get Nikolai for myself too! <3

Natalie Monroe Persassyizdabest wrote: "I agree with your review. Nikolai was the highlight of the whole book. Personally, I think Alina should end up with the Darkling, so I can just get Nikolai for myself too! <3"

I can't wait for a Nikolai spin-off.