Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James's Reviews > Touching the Surface

Touching the Surface by Kimberly Sabatini

bookshelves: my-little-library, fantasy

Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

While many books try to explain different mysteries of life, mostly my favorites are the ones that have the eventual setting but don't focus on it, but on characters. For that reason after reading it you realize that it doesn't matter where you end but how did you live.

Touching the Surface stars like that, when Elliot bursts from the lake into the surface of a well-know place to her. For the third time she is back to Obmil. You have no idea what is that? Doesn't matter, as it's a beauty of this story. It actually doesn't focus on explaining the afterlife to you but the author builds the world beautifully so that you discover everything piece by piece. In the meantime you are trying to understand Elliot. When you get to meet her for the first time your words to describe her would be selfish, brat and other not such lovely words, but by the end of the book you'll want to hold her and be there for her.

We all make mistakes, that's understandable, but the key is in forgiving and compassion, the things that the author captures remarkably. While being lost Elliot hurts one that she cares for the most and as she doesn't know her past she cannot understand her present. With two more characters, Oliver and Trevor, to add to her confusion Elliot is lost.

It's hard to point out what I like the most here - the beautiful writing, the uniqueness to the story, the characters and their development so that you'll love every single one of them by the end of the book, or the way the would builds around you easily for you to imagine it but at the same time your focus is always on the characters and the plot. There is also a nice balance between seriousness and entertainment. Everything here seems to be nicely balanced.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touching the Surface.

July 25, 2013 – Shelved
July 25, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
September 27, 2013 – Started Reading
September 27, 2013 –
page 71
21.13% "I have no idea what's this all about but it's really interesting."
September 30, 2013 –
page 292
September 30, 2013 – Shelved as: my-little-library
September 30, 2013 – Shelved as: fantasy
September 30, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Wonderful review, Tanja. I love it when we get to see a positive transition in a character so much that we go from not liking them to loving them by the end. :)

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James Thank you Rachel. Yes characters really developed here :)

message 3: by Scarlet (new) - added it

Scarlet Imam pitanje: koja ti je fantasy knjiga u posljednjih 2 godine bila najbolja? Osim Rothfussa. Trebam poklon za susjedu.

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James Pa pored Finnikina i te serije, meni je super i The Brides of Rollrock Island. A ako trazis nesto malo vise fantazicno sto joj ne uzmes ovu novu od Gaimana - The Ocean at the End of the Lane ili mozes i Senku Vetra, nije bas tolika fantazija.

message 5: by Scarlet (new) - added it

Scarlet Gaimana sam i htjela, ali PB ne izlazi do travnja. :(
Mladenke imam ja i već sam joj ih nahvalila, pa ih je možda i kupila.
Bit će onda Finnikin...

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James Koja god meni padne na pamet je serija, i ono malo glupo. Znam za ovu The Princess Bride. Tj. cula sam super stvari o njoj mada je nisam citala.

message 7: by Scarlet (new) - added it

Scarlet Hvala. Imam onda ovo i Finnikina koji je sigurnjak. ;)

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James Pa dobro ti bolje znas sta voli ;) Nema na cemu :)