Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

liked it
bookshelves: adult, dark-or-taboo, male-pov, multiple-pov, suspense-or-thriller, realistic-general-or-lit-fiction
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Wanted to read before the movie. Buddy read w/Anna and Michelle.

Who would I be with Amy just gone?

3.5 stars. I'm still deciding whether to round up or down. My mind may change.

HAH.

Well played, Gillian Flynn. Well played. You got me in the end.

Despicable characters. Dangerous games. Astronomical fallout.
It was kind of romantic. Catastrophically romantic.

What's this story about? Okay, here's the deal. A chick goes missing. Her husband is suspected of making her disappear. The story starts with a dual PoV from Amy in the past (diary entries) and Nick in the present. Things go from there. The reader is left to try and figure out how big of a role Nick did or did not play in Amy's disappearance. Is she even dead?

"I'm the bitch who makes you better, Nick."

Nick. I think it's safe to say that no matter what the outcome was (if he did it or not), he was just gonna be that character you love to hate.
"You two are the most fucked-up people I have ever met, and I specialize in fucked-up people."

That's all I can say without spoiling.

Oh, WAIT...there were lots of random musings which were great. These people were over-thinkers, but I kind of liked it in this story.

Complaints...hmmm...the amount of all-knowing coming from both sides got tiring, but it's obvious that so much of the setup was born from character deficiencies, so I could excuse some of it away.

The ride was one I don't think I'd go on again, but I'm glad I took the trip.
We are one long frightening climax.

Now I can see the movie and annoy my husband because I know what's going to happen and he doesn't. *edit* NM - the movie is changing the ending... WTF?!?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

July 24, 2013 – Shelved
March 5, 2014 –
10.0% "a supermarket deli tray full of hoary carrots and gnarled celery and a semeny dip sits untouched on the coffee table, cigarettes littered throughout like bonus vegetable sticks.\n \n I knew that the books I'm reading were starting to blend together when my first thought was : I wonder if that dip was made with Batman semen?\n \n I swear, I didn't mean to have 3 status updates in a row with strange food sex."
March 8, 2014 –
45.0% "It's humbling, to become the very thing you once mocked.\n \n It's crazy how much I can relate to Amy's feels. Must be the shared name thing. O.o"
Started Reading
March 10, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen my book club just picked this one to read. I read it already but I'm going to read it again. I really liked it! Have fun reading this one!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Good that you liked it. That gives me hope. :) I know a lot of people are fans of this author. If I like this book, I'll probably read her other books as well. I know that both Gone Girl and Dark Places are going to be movies this year.

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I read Gone Girl first and then the others. I think I liked Sharp Objects better than Dark Places but I liked them all. (Gone Girl was my favorite). I know some people that just hated this book. I really liked it, but then again…I like twisted. ;)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I think it's kind of great that people don't all agree on which book they like the best. One of my friends thinks Sharp Objects was the best and the other two books didn't measure up, whereas someone else I know didn't like Sharp Objects at all, but liked the other two books.

message 5: by Leea (new) - added it

Leea I tried to read it, didn't get past the second chapter. I can't wait to read your review and see what you thought.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Did you end up finishing Dark Places?

message 7: by Leea (new) - added it

Leea No... I got distracted with some other reads ;) I was really enjoying it and plan on finishing it next. It's very dark.

message 8: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (new)

♡Karlyn P♡ Count me as being in the "I own it but haven't read it either" group. One day, one day...

I look forward to your thoughts on this one. I am honestly not sure how I will feel about it.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) So far, so good! Both MCs POVs and their parallel-running (not sure if this is the proper term) time frames are riveting. Who is real? Neither seem genuine to the other. Did he...? Where is she? What's the twist? *speculates*

message 10: by Ally (new)

Ally I passionately hated this book. It was such a spiralling black hole of depressive nothingness populated by hideously abrasive characters. Ugh. I really bummed myself out reading this one.

Giselle Ooh this story is so twisted! Hope you liked it!

message 12: by Noémy (new) - added it

Noémy I've been meaning to pick up this book because I was such a fan of Darkplaces (and had NO idea it was going to be turned into a movie. Great news ha!) but for some reason this one scares me a bit. Not because of its creepy factor (I'm reading sharp objects and it's pretty f**** up already) but because of the "hype monster" ;) Looking forward to reading your thoughts on this one !!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Yeah, hyped books do tend to make me nervous, although at least this one isn't a bunch of fangirl squeeing hype over an ahole man or something, but more of a bestseller "could go either way" hype. I am getting excited, seeing the differences of opinion already here. These are the types of books that make me want to know where I'll stand in the end.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Stacia (Spy vs. Spy) wrote: "Anna, the past/present timeline doesn't always work for me, but I'm actually liking the setup of that so far. "

Yeah. I prefer this timeline. Flashbacks can be a book killer.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Ally wrote: "I passionately hated this book. It was such a spiralling black hole of depressive nothingness populated by hideously abrasive characters. Ugh. I really bummed myself out reading this one."

I totally get why you hated the book now. I think I liked it, but I COMPLETELY understand why a person would want to throw the book at the wall. Everybody's (view spoiler)

Ash Wednesday It lost its steam for me towards the end. Crazy is okay, but sometimes too crazy can be off-putting.

I did like how this ended though. (view spoiler)

Susan (the other Susan) Amazing freakin Amy.

Stacia (the 2010 club) That nickname was so weird. Maybe because my "non-GR" name is Amy and I could not ever call myself that, haha.

Ash Wednesday wrote: "It lost its steam for me towards the end. Crazy is okay, but sometimes too crazy can be off-putting.

I did like how this ended though. [spoilers removed]"

I gave it 3.5, but I'm still deciding on if I should round up or down. The ending was the best part, but some of the middle floundered, especially (view spoiler)

Is it sad that I kind of (view spoiler)

message 19: by Ash Wednesday (last edited Mar 10, 2014 08:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ash Wednesday Same rating :)

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Stacia (keyboard abuser) wrote: "That nickname was so weird. Maybe because my "non-GR" name is Amy and I could not ever call myself that, haha.

Couldn't agree with you more on your last couple lines written here. (Don't want to repeat to create a spoiler.)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Isn't it weird that you can't really say anything about this book or you will screw it up for others? It's pretty much a dead zone from about chapter 4 on.

Susan (the other Susan) I know, right? I read that she's created an entirely new ending for the movie, so there will still be some suspense for readers. Not just the ending, but the last 1/3 of the book. Can hardly wait to find out how the story plays out in the film.

Susan (the other Susan) So no, the answer is that you won't know any more about how the movie ends than your husband. Ha! It's a perfect Gillian Flynn gotcha.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Wait, really?

I don't know if I like that or not. I thought the ending here (view spoiler)

Susan (the other Susan) Yes. I hope it's not the focus-group dumbed- down ending. Flynn is the screenwriter, so we can hope she comes up with something equally awfully perfect.

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen i loved the ending. i hope I'm not disappointed in the movie!

message 27: by Ally (new)

Ally I had no idea this was being made into a movie !! Wow. Just wow.

Susan (the other Susan) Flynn is an evil genius, like her now most infamous character. :-) She won't settle for an ending that's less than perfect.

You know what I wish we had on GR? A Gone Girl thread with a huge SPOILERS warning, so those of us who have finished it can discuss it openly without ruining it for anyone else. I'm dying to know how you and other GR friends thought this book would end - and much earlier in the book, what you thought was going on. I had a couple of theories that I felt sure would pan out - and felt pretty clever for figuring them out - and I wasn't even close.

Susan (the other Susan) Ally, yes it's coming out in October. Ben Affleck as Nick, Neil Patrick Harris as Desi (! brilliant ! ) and I forget the name of the lead actress.

message 30: by Ally (new)

Ally Ben Affleck - LOL

Susan (the other Susan) Directed by David Flincher (Golden Globe for The Social Network.) He also directed Fight Club, which seems appropriate somehow. :-D

message 32: by Ally (new)

Ally Hmmm I can see how that would work but really Ben Affleck? He has like, two facial expressions.

Susan (the other Susan) So does Nick, remember? Inappropriate Smile, and Other.

I think Affleck is a little too obvious for it, personally. But Neil Patrick Harris as Desi, I LOVE! I can almost see the trail of slime that character leaves when he slithers into a room. Charm and slime.

message 34: by Ally (new)

Ally LOL !! I guess Ben Affleck is perfect for the role after all :D

Susan (the other Susan) See, he's already inappropriately smiling.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Ben's slimy...Nick is slimy...

I love the casting of Rosamund Pike as Amy. Not a fan of the chick they cast for Andie. I'll grab some pics in a minute to share.

Stacia (the 2010 club) NPH for Desi will be awesome.

I think both of these actors were well cast.

Andie, not so much.

Go is being played by Carrie Coon.

message 38: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Love the casting! Now I'm excited for this movie!!

Susan (the other Susan) I guess it would be too much to expect Nancy Grace to play the shrill, despicable TV host based on Nancy Grace.

Deeksha Same here , I HATE NICK , doesn't matter what Amy does she still be my favorite (view spoiler) character .

Stacia (the 2010 club) I disliked Nick, but it wasn't a rage hate. It was more so in the way I would feel around any guy who would give off an uncomfortable vibe when he was near. He was slimy.

Susan wrote: "I guess it would be too much to expect Nancy Grace to play the shrill, despicable TV host based on Nancy Grace."

Funny!

message 42: by Susan (the other Susan) (last edited Mar 11, 2014 02:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan (the other Susan) I spent the entire (view spoiler) As you said, "Well played."

message 43: by G. (new) - rated it 2 stars

G. UGH. I might have to finish this. I wasn't in the best place reading-wise when I dnfed it. I feel guilty. Bad, bad reader.

Susan (the other Susan) Giedre wrote: "UGH. I might have to finish this. I wasn't in the best place reading-wise when I dnfed it. I feel guilty. Bad, bad reader."

Not going to offer a spoiler here, but I have to caution you that, if you don't read it, something bad might happen. Just saying.

message 45: by Susan (the other Susan) (last edited Mar 11, 2014 02:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan (the other Susan) By the way, Stacia, did that "Hah. Hah. Hah." indicate that you were slow-clapping? (Scurries off to find a gif for slow-clapping.)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Either that, or a sadistic laugh. But I do so love a well-timed slow clap. Where would 80's movies be without them?

Michelle [Helen Geek] I'm almost laughing at my original status update about Amy. My feelings changed and changed and changed - liking her, disliking her, coming full circle, then moving away again. Where did the wheel stop? I'm not telling. Perfection in a nutshell! Love the review. I agree, I could laugh at my earlier musings on this one. Thanks for the buddy Dearie! On to see what Anna wrote now.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks Michelle. :)

message 49: by Josephine (new)

Josephine That magazine cover...

Stacia (the 2010 club) I guess it's supposed to make you stop and look.

« previous 1