Isabel (Sab The Book Eater)'s Reviews > Two Roads

Two Roads by L.M. Augustine

liked it

This review and more at Sab The Book Eater

L.M. Augustine is back, this time with an emotional New Adult book with the right dash of nerdy cuteness that is sure to charm its way into readers' hearts.

While I enjoyed the book to an extent, I had some issues with it too. My biggest concern is that Cali and Logan remind me so much of Cat and West from Click to Subscribe. It's like they could pass off as college versions of themselves except they have intense pasts and that's totally not Cat and West. I suppose this wouldn't have bothered me had I not read Click before. It may seem unfair but I like characters from two different books to have distinct voices. Reading Two Roads was a bit like déjà vu.

Another thing I didn't quite like about the writing were the long paragraphs describing all the feels. I like detailed descriptions of how the protagonist feels but in Two Roads, it reached a point where Cali was being repetitive. I like feels, really, but you have to offer the reader something more. I wanted a clearer explanation of Cali and Logan's rivalry for one. The whole time I was reading the book I didn't really see their rivalry to be anything serious. I just thought they were being playful. Flirty, even. As Cali's backstory unraveled though I finally got the idea that, oh okay so she really is mad at Logan. I just wish that they weren't so freaking cute together. The message would've come across clearly without having to explain it all in long paragraphs.

Did I say they're freaking cute together? Despite my complaints, I still found myself enjoying their cute nerdy banters. I'm all for nerds falling in like so this pair's romance was definitely for me. They had terrific chemistry and it showed whenever they would loosen up. You just know they're bound to get together but the anticipation was frustrating. In a good way. Forget about the fake rivalry and just kiss her already, Logan! Yes, Cali and Logan are adorable like that. Oh and I also like that this is a clean New Adult book. It's a nice break from the usual, you know?

Three stars for for L.M. Augustine's first New Adult book. It was sweet alright but my biases got in the way. The romance was very enjoyable though and that's something you'd want to check out.

P.S.
The term "nerdhole" was used in this book. Win.

(I received a copy of this book for review. This review is based solely on my opinion.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Roads.

July 24, 2013 – Shelved
July 24, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
August 9, 2013 –
30.0% "Random thoughts: 1. The emails remind me of Wes and Cat from Click to Subscribe. 2. Love the casual name calling and constant pranks Logan and Cali pull on each other. 3. Aww man! Foul, Cali, foul. :|"
August 10, 2013 – Started Reading
August 11, 2013 –
51.0% "You have until tomorrow night, or the hostage dies. (The hostage being my heart.) (Yeah. I went there.) LOGAN, YOU CUTIEPIE"
August 11, 2013 –
60.0% "IT'S STARTING!!! BEE DOH BEE DOH BEE DOH BEE DOH BEE DOH BEE DOH"
August 11, 2013 –
86.0% "Because you stole my heart, Cali. You stole my heart and now you won't let me have yours. BOOM"
August 12, 2013 – Finished Reading