Angela's Reviews > Magic Rises

Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews

bookshelves: borrowed, urban-fantasy, pre-order, review-books-done, paperbook, second-copy, paper-arc, part-of-omnibus, novella, kindle, 2016-read, 2018-read, short-story, favorites
Read 4 times. Last read March 13, 2018 to March 14, 2018.

I still love how the one guy takes one look at Kate and just walks away. Cracks me up.

This is a really short novella, just a bit of backstory fleshing out a moment referenced in Magic Rises a bit later on.

I love how well Kate and Derek work together.

Merged review:

I highly, highly recommend avoiding all spoilers for this book. Read it fresh. I promise there aren't spoilers in my review below. The spoiler tags just note stream-of-consciousness thoughts I had.., If you don't want to know anything other than I loved it - Read no further. Fair warning ;)

Once upon a time, I'd never read anything by Ilona Andrews. I lived in the dark, badgered by my good friend (thank you Kat!!) constantly as she tried to get me to pick up Magic Bites. I don't even remember what my problem was – why I didn't pick up this book as soon as I knew about it. I think I thought it just wasn't for me. If I wasn't so very wrong that would be funny.

Then, one day, I was looking at my beautiful bookshelf full of books I needed to read and Magic Bites called out louder than the rest. I picked it up, laid down on my bed, and turned to the first page. I sat at a table in my shadowy kitchen, staring down a bottle of Boone's Farm Hard Lemonade, when a magic fluctuation hit...

Several hours later I surfaced to the real world again; reluctant to leave behind Kate, Derek, Curran, and even Saiman. Luckily, the next three books were out and I immediately downloaded them, and any novellas I could find, to my Kindle. And ordered them in paper to be shipped to me... The next several days were spent in a magic-induced reading high from this series. Immediately upon finishing Magic Bleeds I started the series from the beginning. Diving back into this world, spending time with the characters I couldn't yet let go of, and eagerly, (view spoiler), awaited Magic Slays.

I'm here to say, the magic definitely isn't waning on this series. Ilona Andrews continues to be one of the best in the Urban Fantasy genre. They've proved time and again they have excellent world–building skills as they show us an Atlanta ravaged by the effects of magic and technology fluctuating, and Kate's struggles through it. Relationships are complex and nuanced; the slow build of Kate and Curran's relationship is just one of the things that makes them my favorite literary couple, ever.

So when, Jenny was kind enough to send me her ARC to read I was ecstatic! (view spoiler) I immediately cracked it open and started reading. I recommend flipping to the end and starting with An Ill-Advised Rescue (if you haven't already read it on their website) which is a fully-contained short story that relates to the beginning of Magic Rises; also, it's just more awesome times with Kate.

In Magic Rises Ilona Andrews takes everything a step further – expanding the world over the Black Sea, and pushing these characters I've come to love so much to the very edge of their abilities to endure. This book was an emotional roller-coaster for me. I was up, I was down; I cried, I laughed, I screamed, I cheered. My heart broke, and was put back together.

If I had the ability to jump into the pages of this book and kick some people's asses, I would have. I wanted to kill some characters. Slap others upside the head; hug and comfort if possible. It's not an exaggeration to say this book will put you through the emotional wringer. Not only are Kate and Curran fighting for the medicine to save the shapeshifter children from going loup – emotional enough in and of itself – Ilona Andrews puts everything on the line, shaking it up and pulling us through the other side.

I won't say a lot about the main story line, except to say that it blew me away. I wasn't sure how I was going to stay interested outside of Atlanta – dealing with packs I'd never heard of and didn't know. Lucky for me, and for Kate and Curran, a contingent from the Pack traveled with them. The help and support was very much needed, and I enjoyed seeing how Kate's begun to integrate from her solitary existence to being an alpha, the alpha female of the Pack. She went from working alone, having no friends, no lovers, no one she trusted to relying on others, being emotionally involved in others survival, and doing everything she can to help those under her care – no matter the cost.

The cost has the potential to be very high in Magic Rises. Even knowing they're walking into a trap, Kate and Curran don't begin to contemplate the possibilities of how dangerous this deal is. To their lives, yes, but also to everything they hold dear. Their relationship is tested, hard, in this book. And I can easily say that I wanted to kick Curran's ass more than once. I was devastated for Kate, I felt her pain and I hated to see her hurt.

There are shocks and twists, plots and schemes, danger and kick-ass fights. There are also quiet moments full of love and friendship. You may finish this book unable to look at some characters the way you did before starting, or find others mean more than you expected – I know I did. The plot, which I worried about when I first started, moved along nicely with a lot of action – there was one fight scene that had my fanning myself, it was so hot. As always, there's plenty of witty banter between Kate and everyone. Even while my heart was being torn out, slowly, they still had the ability to make me laugh.

Magic Rises is right up there with Magic Strikes for my favorite book in this series, and catapulted the Kate Daniels series to my favorite ever (view spoiler)! It's a fantastic addition to the series, the world, and the genre. Magic Rises is a game-changer, shaking everything up and showing yet again that Ilona Andrews are the best.

I read late into the night, staying up until I finished it – at 1AM. Sleep wasn't important to me, and I'll lay money on you not thinking so either. If you're waiting for this book as impatiently as I was, you won't be disappointed. If you haven't started this series – are you in for a treat. Go! Grab Magic Bites and dive in! You can thank me later.

Previous thoughts:
Amazing.

Simply Amazing.
This is one of the two best books in the series to date!
Review to come closer to release day.

ETA: Also, I think this book catapulted this series to my favorite series. Ever. Period.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Rises.

Quotes Angela Liked

Ilona Andrews
“You want me to level, here it is: I need you. I need you because I love you. Three months without you will be hell. But even if we weren’t together, I would still need you. You’re a good fighter, you’ve worked as a bodyguard, and you know magic. We may not have many magic users, but we don’t know if those packs do, and if they hit us with magic, we have no way to counter.” He spread his arms. “But I love you and I don’t want you to be hurt. I’m not going to ask you to come with me. That would be like stepping in front of a moving train and saying, ‘Hey, honey, come stand next to me.’”

I hopped off the wall and stood next to him. “Anytime.”

He just looked at me.

“I’ve never killed a train before. It might be fun to try.”

“Are you sure?”

“One time I was dying in a cage inside a palace that was flying over a magic jungle. And some idiot went in there, chased the palace down, fought his way through hundreds of rakshasas, and rescued me.”

“I remember,” he said.

“That’s when I realized you loved me,” I said. “I was in the cage and I heard you roar.”
Ilona Andrews, Magic Rises

Ilona Andrews
“Did you read the instructions?” He shook his head. “Why, were you afraid they’d take your man card away?” “Are you going to help me or just make fun of me?” “Can’t I do both?”
Ilona Andrews, Magic Rises

January 1, 2012 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
January 1, 2012 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy (Kindle Edition)
April 10, 2013 – Shelved as: pre-order (Kindle Edition)
page 62
16.85% "Man. I don't even want to put it down to come update!!" (Kindle Edition)
page 102
27.72% "Oh.My.F**king.God. I did not see that coming! At all. Holy shit." (Kindle Edition)
page 140
38.04% "Only this far in and I feel like I'm on a roller-coaster of emotion! This is me: "Grrr", "Hahaha", "Awwww", "Fuck you!!", "Oh! Get...wait...shit!...move! Yes!!! *sigh of relief*" ...repeat!" (Kindle Edition)
page 157
42.66% "I love Kate. Easily wins favorite, smartest, most badass heroine." (Kindle Edition)
page 170
46.2% "I just want to give Derek a hug. He deserves so much." (Kindle Edition)
page 192
52.17% "Seriously?!? What the fuck now???" (Kindle Edition)
page 195
52.99% "Oh no!!!!" (Kindle Edition)
page 198
53.8% "In the space of a page I went from teared and choked up to: Holy shit!! I'm still choked up though." (Kindle Edition)
page 215
58.42% "FUCK.THAT.NOISE!!! GRRRRR" (Kindle Edition)
page 229
62.23% "Oh Hell No!! I'm so fucking mad right now!" (Kindle Edition)
page 233
63.32% "Holy shit!! EPICness starting right now!!! O.O" (Kindle Edition)
page 238
64.67% "Hot damn, Kate!! Whoa! That was...incredibly hot. And shockingly worrisome at the end there!" (Kindle Edition)
page 275
74.73% "Holy crap, this book is putting me through the wringer! *wipes tears*" (Kindle Edition)
page 292
79.35% "Derek, I seriously love you." (Kindle Edition)
page 290
78.8% "Oh, man. Nice try, but not happening! LOL" (Kindle Edition)
page 292
79.35% "Are you kidding me?? Someone needs to die." (Kindle Edition)
page 294
79.89% "Hhoooo. Shit's getting real!" (Kindle Edition)
page 301
81.79% "What in the hell? I better learn more about that crazy ass thing later!" (Kindle Edition)
page 317
86.14% "Too late. Fuck me. :((((" (Kindle Edition)
page 327
88.86% "Wow." (Kindle Edition)
July 24, 2013 – Shelved
July 24, 2013 – Shelved as: borrowed
July 24, 2013 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
September 21, 2013 – Shelved as: pre-order
September 21, 2013 – Shelved as: review-books-done (Kindle Edition)
September 21, 2013 – Shelved as: review-books-done
October 10, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013-read (Kindle Edition)
October 25, 2013 – Shelved as: kindle (Kindle Edition)
October 25, 2013 – Shelved as: paperbook
August 29, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites (Kindle Edition)
December 24, 2014 – Shelved as: second-copy
October 8, 2015 –
94.0% "Starting with An Ill-Advised Rescue, because it happens prior to the events in Magic Rises..." (Kindle Edition)
October 8, 2015 –
94.0% "Since I'd joined the Beast Lord and his fifteen hundred shapeshifter nutcases...\n \n Ahh. The love of an Alpha for her pack. ^_^" (Kindle Edition)
October 8, 2015 –
95.0% "Derek lowered himself down and pushed up. One-arm-upside-down push-up. Young werewolves. Full of energy." (Kindle Edition)
October 8, 2015 –
2.0% "Done with An Ill-Advised Rescue, now onto the main story. :D" (Kindle Edition)
October 8, 2015 –
2.0% "Several decades ago magic returned to our world, crushing our technological civilization and whatever illusion of safety we had with it. Magic and technology still fought over us, playing with the planet like two kids tossing a ball to each other. When one functioned, the other didn't.\n \n LOL" (Kindle Edition)
October 8, 2015 –
6.0% ""Don't take this the wrong way, but sometimes you scare me, Kate."\n \n "Barabas, you grow two-inch claws and can bench-press a Shetland pony. And you find me scary?"\n \n That's because Kate is a BAMF" (Kindle Edition)
October 8, 2015 –
8.0% ""That would be like stepping in front of a moving train and saying, 'Hey, honey, come stand next to me.'"\n \n I hopped off the wall and stood next to him. "Anytime."\n \n He just looked at me.\n \n "I've never killed a train before. It might be fun to try."" (Kindle Edition)
October 8, 2015 –
10.0% "I tried to picture a female version of Jim and got Jim in a dress instead. The image was disturbing.\n \n Yeah, I'll say. LOL" (Kindle Edition)
October 8, 2015 –
11.0% ""And Raphael will be joining us," Andrea said.\n \n So that was what this was all about. I got a cookie after all. "Aww. I had no idea you cared. I'm touched."\n \n "You should be. I'm willing to abandon the tender embrace of my future mother-in-law for your sake."\n \n "About that," Aunt B said. "I'm coming, too."\n \n Dear God, the cookie was poisoned.\n \n ^_______________^" (Kindle Edition)
October 8, 2015 –
12.0% ""...She says she is tired."\n \n "Does she seem tired to you?"\n \n "She'll outlive me. I'll be an old woman, and she'll still be promising to retire."\n \n Man, have I mentioned lately how much I love Aunt B??? Seriously. Love." (Kindle Edition)
October 8, 2015 –
22.0% ""I had forgotten that talking to you is like trying to pet a cactus," Saiman said dryly. "Thank you for reminding me."\n \n "Always happy to oblige."" (Kindle Edition)
October 8, 2015 –
24.0% ""If he needs to keep something private, I'm fine with it. When he's ready, he'll tell me."\n \n Hmm. Do not forget this moment." (Kindle Edition)
October 9, 2015 –
29.0% "Why am I having so much trouble figuring out who the ten that they took with them are? I'm one short. Gah." (Kindle Edition)
October 9, 2015 –
31.0% ""Lord Megobari," a man announced.\n \n I can still, clearly, remember the 'OH SHIT' moment I had the first time I read this." (Kindle Edition)
October 9, 2015 –
33.0% "Curran locked his hands on the table. It was an enormous table. It had to weigh over two thousand pounds.\n \n The table creaked and left the ground.\n \n The snickering died. People stared, slack-faced.\n \n Curran held the table a foot off the ground for a long second. His face didn't look strained.\n \n Someone made a choking noise.\n \n He is a damn scary bastard." (Kindle Edition)
October 12, 2015 –
36.0% ""Aha! So I'm not crazy."\n \n "You are most definitely crazy," Derek said. "But in a deranged, endearing way."\n \n *snickers*" (Kindle Edition)
October 12, 2015 –
38.0% "(on pregnancy)\n "Let me summarize for you: your feet hurt, your back hurts, your hips hurt. None of your clothes fit, because your maternica is stretched out from the size of an apple to a basketball. The small creatures inside you keep kicking you and turning. You can't eat things you normally eat-they make you sick. Instead you eat strange things like marinated cucumbers and... (1 of 2)" (Kindle Edition)
October 12, 2015 –
38.0% "...you can't stop until they also make you sick. Worst of all, you're not a person anymore. You're a container. Everybody is looking at you waiting for you to pop your baby out."" (Kindle Edition)
October 12, 2015 –
51.0% ""Tell [her] we need maid service," I said. "We could handle trash in our room and an odd smell, but now we have a dead body. If this continues, we won't be able to give your hotel a decent rating."\n \n "Yeah," Derek said, his voice completely deadpan. "The continental breakfast better kick ass or we'll complain to the manager."" (Kindle Edition)
October 12, 2015 –
66.0% "The anger that had simmered boiled over. The ice cage cracked. I was so done. He wanted a fight, I would give him a fucking fight. "Fine. Lead the way."\n \n Oh shit. I shouldn't love this as much as I do. I know it, but I don't care." (Kindle Edition)
October 12, 2015 –
67.0% ""Are you afraid?" [he] asked.\n \n "Nope. Your funeral. Ready?"\n \n [He] spread his arms. "Introduce me to the afterlife."" (Kindle Edition)
October 12, 2015 –
79.0% ""I'm still mad at you," I whispered...\n \n "I'm an ass," he told me..." (Kindle Edition)
October 12, 2015 –
84.0% ""Are you hungry, baby?" Curran asked.\n \n "Starving."\n \n "I think we should go to dinner."\n \n "Great idea."\n \n "What are you going to wear?"\n \n "My badass face."" (Kindle Edition)
November 20, 2015 – Shelved as: 2014-read (Kindle Edition)
November 20, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-read (Kindle Edition)
May 19, 2016 – Shelved as: paper-arc
August 17, 2016 – Started Reading
August 17, 2016 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
August 17, 2016 – Shelved as: part-of-omnibus
August 17, 2016 – Shelved as: novella
August 17, 2016 – Shelved as: kindle
August 17, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-read
August 17, 2016 –
0.0% "*deep breath*" (Kindle Edition)
August 17, 2016 – Finished Reading
August 19, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-read (Kindle Edition)
August 19, 2016 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
March 12, 2018 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
March 12, 2018 –
0.0% "I love Kate Daniels' Day!" (Kindle Edition)
March 13, 2018 – Started Reading
March 14, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-read
March 14, 2018 – Shelved as: short-story
March 14, 2018 –
8.0% "" (Kindle Edition)
March 14, 2018 – Finished Reading
March 15, 2018 –
24.0% ""Bad news?" I asked.

"Nothing we can't handle."

March 15, 2018 –
24.0% ""I hate her already," Andrea told me. "George hates her too, right, George?"

"I think she is adorable." George volunteered next to me. "We should give her milk and cookies, and if she promises to be quiet, she can sit at the big people's table."

*snickers*

Also, to her:
March 15, 2018 –
31.0% ""Lord Megobari," a man announced.

March 16, 2018 –
53.0% "Can't update. Too busy reading.

(Kindle Edition)
March 17, 2018 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
April 18, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Jul 24, 2013 08:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amanda great review, angela. this is my all time favorite UF series. I just love Kate & Curran.

(view spoiler)

Aly is so frigging bored Lovely review!

PS I still hate you ;;)

Angela Thanks Amanda!! LOL - me too. It was close for a while, but Curran is just... Well, Curran. ;)

Aly - LMFAO! But I love you!!!

Aly is so frigging bored You lie! :)))) If you loved me you'd spoil me a bit *sniff*

Angela I'm not spoiling you because I love you ;;)

Aly is so frigging bored So you want me suffering and in turmoil? *shakes head* I'll look at the last chapter anyway when I get the book so you could at least spare me the trouble you know ;;)

Angela Pfft. The last chapter isn't really your issue. LOOL.

Just once, once, read a book beginning to end with no spoilers - I dare you :P

Aly is so frigging bored I do that 95% of the time so it's not that of a dare :D i just wanna know who dies damn it!

Amanda Aly (Mircea) Basarab wrote: "So you want me suffering and in turmoil? *shakes head* I'll look at the last chapter anyway when I get the book so you could at least spare me the trouble you know ;;)"

I swear that i always does that when i used to read in paperback. but ever since i switch to kindle, is kinda inconvenient to cheat anymore :D

Brandi Fabulous review!!! I think I might be in the same camp regarding the Fever series. Wow...but you're so right. I almost put in my review a list of women that I think Kate beats, and Mac was one of them. I wonder how she'd do against Dani?!

Angela I honestly don't think I've ever met another heroine that Kate couldn't beat. She's so freakin' strong, and more than that she's determined. She never gives up. (Not that the others do, but I've see Kate fight through some nasty injuries - frequently) LOL

Brandi True, true. I'd be interested in seeing her against Dani if anyone though. Nobody else could give her a run for the money I think.

And you're right--probably not even Dani, but she's the only one I can picture having a ghost of a chance.

Angela Dani's got too much of a hot head, IMO. I think that her speed would give her some ability to try and fight Kate, and she might get some good licks in, but Kate would bring her down eventually.

But yeah, it'd probably be a good fight! >_<

Sharon L Angela wrote: "Dani's got too much of a hot head, IMO. I think that her speed would give her some ability to try and fight Kate, and she might get some good licks in, but Kate would bring her down eventually.

B..."

You're talking about Dani from Fever?

Angela JennyJen wrote: "Why ju have 2 reviews? I liked both. ^_^"

I don't know why I do! LOL. I think I'm going to delete one of them. I must have added another edition at some point ^_^

Yup, Dani from Fever, Sharon. >_<

Brandi Yeah, Dani from Fever, but I meant as an adult. I totally agree that right now, there's not a thing that would keep Kate from killing her stupidly easy. I picture Dani grown, and maybe we'll actually know what the fuck all she can do, and then I'd be curious. I expect Dani to be super badass too.

Angela Meh. I kind of hate Dani right now, and think she (and everyone) think more of her than she really is.

So that's my personal feelings coming into my assessment. I don't see her being any better as an adult - considering KMM basically said that her experiences made her grow up more quickly...

Sharon L Ouch

Brandi I can see why you'd feel that way. I still love her, but I'm really ready for her to grow up. I think she's going to be amazing!

I think she'll mature. Just faster than a regular human pre-world smooch. Look at Mac?! She's annoying as fuck at first, but then she matures.

Angela LOOOL - Well, Mac wasn't annoying to me in the beginning. I thought she was incredibly naive, but I liked her. *snickers* Though I do know that I'm in the minority on that one.

I would love for Dani to grow up and be amazing though. And I didn't hate her as much as I was expecting in Iced, but I still didn't like her. I really need to get around to writing a review for that book sometime.

Brandi I'm not writing one for that book. Nope. Not touching it. I love KMM more than anyone since she kinda changed my reading life, and though that wasn't my favorite of all her books, I still loved it. Plus, I wasn't as grossed out as everyone else. I was able to suspend belief I guess, but the controversy of her age isn't something I want random people weighing in on.

Angela I can definitely understand that.

The ability to suspend disbelief, and flow with story is a very important part of reading. I've had other books that I read and loved, and the saw people tear apart things that I didn't even really notice or put much importance on, because I was just in it, I guess. So I completely know what you mean! >_<

I wish I could have in this book, unfortunately the rest of the story didn't distract me enough.

I actually might not write a review (other than what I currently have) because I'm far enough away from it now and I don't really care anymore - in that most of it has slipped from my mind ^_^

Angela You're probably right Jenny. I should say "strongly dislike."

Yeah, that more closely describes how I feel about Dani. ;)

Brandi No, KMM didn't make her more appealing in that one yet. I agrees. I have hope though--I'm staying to the light, lol.

Brandi And I totally just thought about what would happen if Dani somehow did try to take on Kate, and what would happen is that she would freeze frame to get close, and maybe she's get first blood (because Kate would be like dafuq kid?!), but then she'd freeze frame to get at her again, and Kate would hear the air shift, and get her with Slayer.

Dani would definitely have to be more before she could beat Kate.