Amy Bradsher's Reviews > Anomaly

Anomaly by Krista McGee

Jul 24, 2013

I absolutely loved the last Krista McGee novel that I read, so I was a bit disappointed with the opening of this one. The premise feels very much like Lois Lowry's The Giver or even Ted Dekker's Mortal series. You know, planned community in which all emotion and sensual information is erased and science rules ...

except that's where the similarity ends.

Anomaly focuses less on the main character's rebellion of the ruling scientific regime and more on each person's innate longing to know our Creator. McGee has crafted an intense blend of science and faith that will fascinate even the most reluctant science fiction or fantasy reader. Anomaly is both and neither at the same time - because while the premise may be futuristic and technological, truth resounds within its pages.
We are created to Love.
We are planned with a purpose.
We are not all the same - and those differences are in accordance to the above purpose.
We are not meant to be in control, and rather than being scary, this can be a freeing discovery.

Anomaly is a perfect teen read. It would make a fantastic book club book or discussion diving board for those angst-filled teen years when one is trying to figure out one's purpose, place, and how to live with zits.

That early similarity to The Giver? It remains, lingering in the background, throughout the major action in the plot - but McGee ultimately does it better. Not only does she add depth and meaning where it was missing in the first, but she throws in a surprise twist that totally blindsided me - and will have me scanning the newly-released book lists in watch for the sequel.

I received a free copy of Anomaly from LitFuse Publicity in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anomaly.

Finished Reading