Beverly Diehl's Reviews > The Memoirs of Cleopatra

The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George

5641908

bookshelves: historical-fiction, egypt

Despite being a REALLY long book, and already knowing the major points of the story, it never dragged, I kept wanting to turn the pages. The author puts the best spin on certain things - for example, Cleopatra is historically supposed to have poisoned her youngest brother; in this version, she takes solicitous care of him and he dies from consumption (TB). Which could be what truly happened, impossible to tell from this vantage point.

She also smoothly works in many of Cleopatra's skills, in language, for example, having her switch from one language to another to try to communicate with someone. Most people don't know Cleopatra was fluent in nine languages (which means she had to be pretty brilliant). This takes the bare bones of the historical story and adds flesh, color, sound and scent. She is a sensual woman, she is a woman in love, and in heartbreak, but Egypt always comes first.

Cleopatra as portrayed here is thoroughly likeable and sympathetic, a smart if tough woman willing to use every tool at her disposal, including sex, to attain her goals and protect her kingdom.

As one would expect of a Queen.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memoirs of Cleopatra.

July 23, 2013 – Started Reading
July 23, 2013 – Shelved
July 23, 2013 –
page 703
July 26, 2013 –
page 758
July 27, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Paganalexandria This sounds like a real good read. I have read a couple of Cleopatra books what's one more?..

Beverly Diehl Paganalexandria wrote: "This sounds like a real good read. I have read a couple of Cleopatra books what's one more?.."
I'm currently on a Cleopatra kick - what else do you recommend?