Sandie's Reviews > Look Again

Aug 15, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2009-books, thrillers-and-mystery, legal-thrillers
Read in August, 2009

With LOOK AGAIN, Lisa Scottoline departs from her previous suspense novels that featured the likes of legal eagles Mary DiNunzio, Bennie Rosato and Cate Fante to give her readers another intrepid, resilient lady. This ones name is Ellen Gleeson and she is journalist for a Philadelphia newspaper whose only acquaintance with the legal profession occurred when she adopted her three year old son, Will, eighteen months earlier.

Ellen’s problems in this novel are four-fold. First, the local newspaper she works for is facing another cutback in staff and Ellen fears her head may be the one on the chopping block. Second, she has a back-stabbing co-worker named Sarah Liu with a “survival at any cost” attitude taking “pot shots” at her. Third, there is Ellen’s widower dad who is preparing to marry a woman Ellen has never met. Finally, there is the flyer that has just arrived in the daily mail that features the age enhanced photo of a kidnapped Florida child named Timothy Braverman, and that photo bears a striking resemblance to her son Will.

Not every aspect of Ellen’s life is negative. On the plus side there is her tall, dark and “sexy as Antonio Banderas” boss who answers to the name of Marcelo Cardosa and seems to have a special affinity for Ellen, and of course her son’s ever devoted and loyal babysitter, Connie Mitchell.

Questions regarding Will’s parentage plague Ellen and she decided to put her job on the back burner while she investigates some of the uncanny coincidences and similarities between her son’s background and that of the missing Braverman boy. What she discovers challenges the direction of her moral and ethical compass as well as jeopardizing her life.

In the past Scottoline has always delivered engrossing thrillers with plenty of courtroom action. With LOOK AGAIN, she gives us an up close and personal look at the cutthroat world of newspaper journalism, a realm whose inhabitants are struggling for survival in a world that relies more and more on the Internet for its news. She also presents us with a situation that invites us to answer the question “How would I react and what decision would I make if I were Ellen Gleeson”.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Look Again.