Joséphine (Word Revel)'s Reviews > Allegiant

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Actual rating: 1.5 stars

Initial thoughts: For the most part, I feel apathetic. I didn't hate Allegiant but I certainly didn't care for it either. The set-up was fuelled by some intriguing ideas but with so many plot holes, hardly developed. Tris and Tobias continued to be as uninteresting as ever, made worse by the narrative choice.

The alternating points-of-view were jarring for two reasons: (1) Divergent and Insurgent were from Tris' POV, so to change that in the concluding book obviously was so that in some capacity, it could continue without Tris; (2) Tris and Tobias sounded exactly the same, which made it a little confusing sometime. At one point, I even wondered why Tobias was suddenly kissing "him" because I missed that that chapter belonged to Tris.

To finally learn about what lay beyond Chicago should've been a point of excitement. Instead, it drove the series to ridiculous mess. The world building crumbled, lacked any semblance of structure, and the explanations were too convenient without truly answering questions about the ethical implications and the importance of consent for things to have gone this far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allegiant.

July 23, 2013 – Shelved
July 23, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
January 8, 2014 – Shelved as: own-but-not-read
January 9, 2014 – Shelved as: own-and-to-read
January 3, 2016 – Shelved as: own-and-to-read-fiction
June 13, 2017 – Started Reading
June 14, 2017 –
page 274
52.09% "Plato's Cave meets Stanford Prison Experiment — quite a warped combination that could raise lots of philosophical and ethical questions. Allegiant has scratched the surface of ethical considerations but I'm not holding out for a satisfactory conclusion on that front. Theoretical musings aside, Tris and Four's POVs aren't differentiated enough, and I'm not buying the world building. Fun idea but so many plot holes."
June 16, 2017 – Shelved as: own-and-read
June 16, 2017 – Shelved as: lgbtq-characters
June 16, 2017 – Shelved as: writers-american
June 16, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 5, 2019 – Shelved as: unhauled

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Tamara✨ (new)

Tamara✨ omg why did you put yourself through this... 😱😂

Joséphine (Word Revel) Tamara wrote: "omg why did you put yourself through this... 😱😂"

'Cause I bought it years ago & I don't like unhauling books without reading them first 🙈 Plus, it was an overdue buddy read, which was more entertaining than reading alone. Haha.