Raúl Omar's Reviews > Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov

bookshelves: science-fiction, read-it-twice
Read 3 times. Last read November 29, 2018 to March 4, 2019.

We love stories. For some reason the human brain is wired to tell stories and therefore loves to be told stories. What do bed stories, jokes, gossiping, and the latest Netflix hit, have in common? the inner human desire to be told a tale.
Literature offers a unique opportunity to tell stories, that somehow relate to us, and makes us wonder “what if?”. Science Fiction takes this “what if?” to a higher level, where we can wonder not only about tales happening within our reality but also wonder about things beyond the realm of the things known to us.
The great masters Science Fiction take advantage of the endless realm of possibilities that can be explored with this genre, broadening the scope of a given situation. Asimov certainly knew how to exploit Science Fiction to make questions that go beyond the typical literary dilemma. Foundation is the perfect example of how Science Fiction is more than just entertainment: what if the human being expands to the whole galaxy? What if the future of human kind could be predicted by maths? What to do if you know for certain that the galactic empire is doomed to destruction?
In this book, Asimov delivers some of his finest stories, separated by time but united by the same underlying questions. Furthermore, the solution suggested to minimise the empire’s decay is a solution we currently need so very bad: knowledge. Asimov’s prediction might be needed now even more than in his fictional future it is knowledge, not guns, power, nor money what humans need to be saved from destruction.
Just one more thing: I write this review after a second reading. The first time I didn’t really enjoyed the book. This second reading comes after reading the two prequels (which I really liked, and that, by the way, were written long after Foundation) So, yes, I recommend reading the Foundation series in chronological order.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foundation.

Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
Started Reading
February 19, 2019 –
page 165
March 4, 2019 – Finished Reading
April 6, 2019 – Shelved as: read-it-twice
July 1, 2019 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Luffy (new)

Luffy I agree with many of your observations. Except that I DNF Foundation and I didn't give it a second chance. Great review!

Raúl Omar Thanks, Luffy! Though this is a classic Asimov and maybe his most famous work, this is certainly not his finest. Sure not recommended for a beginner. After reading the prequels it might be worth a second chance.

message 3: by Luffy (new)

Luffy :)