Arminzerella's Reviews > I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence

I Like You by Amy Sedaris

Aug 13, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: audio-edition, entertaining, funny, hospitality, parties, nonfiction, rabbits, quirky, cooking, borrowed-from-the-library
Read in July, 2009

This is Amy Sedaris’ amusing guide to entertaining. She offers all sorts of helpful hints on how to prepare for and entertain various types of guests, throw a variety of parties, and behavior and etiquette guidelines for dinner/party attendees. She also throws in a chapter on proper rabbit care and maintenance – because she has a pet rabbit and it is the center of her world. You’ll also find recipes and suggestions for getting out various kinds of stains. If you get the audio edition of this book, you’ll get to hear Amy say, “Sidebar!” and “Stain box!” in a breathy voice, too.

I didn’t think that I was going to care for this. Amy is funny, but I’m tired of the cheap and easy references to getting people high, providing “party enhancements,” and the like. I can, however, totally get behind bringing the hostess “butter,” or “carrot tops” for her rabbit. I’d be thrilled if anyone brought me things I could actually use… which they might if I actually entertained. At any rate, after Amy mentioned that she has a rabbit, I was pretty sure that she’d have more to say about said rabbit. I was not wrong. If you couldn’t give a hoot about entertaining (and this is sort of tongue and cheek, anyway), you should listen to this if you dote on your pet rabbit (and use it to get money out of your guests!). Amy Sedaris is a complete goofball, but I bet her parties are fun!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Like You.

04/28/2016 marked as: read