Laura's Reviews > Specials

Specials by Scott Westerfeld

bookshelves: dystopias, ya, science-fiction, fantasy, romance

This is probably one of the only books that took me more than a week to read. The beginning was terribly slow and boring to me. It was just Tally and new buddies fighting for their new cause. Except, now that Tally is a Special, her brain has changed yet again and I had a really hard time identifying with her in the first half. That said, it's also somewhat of a good thing that that happened. I feel like this series is all about keeping your identity even through a lot of hard times and having pretty much everything about you changed with surgery. It's about never losing yourself. So when Tally 'cured' herself in the beginning of the end of this book, I felt like the whole first half of not knowing the new Tally was totally worth it.

The only other problem I had with this is if you remember the last book, Tally told David he was ugly to save him and she made it pretty clear that that was crossing the line and he may never forgive her. Fast forward into this end of this book, she meets David again and they reconnect (yay!)... but they never resolve that. It's like the author just forgot he wrote that part. I would have liked something even if it was David saying that he had forgiven her because he knew what she was trying to do.

I loved this ending. I have to say this was my favorite ending out of the three books I've read so far in this series. Tally figured out that the new system needed to be kept in check so they didn't turn out like the Rusties. (view spoiler) I loved this especially how Tally figured something out to help people.

I just found out there is a fourth book Extras even though this was supposed to be a trilogy and I just had to laugh at that. I'm also really glad that he wrote it because even though I really liked how it ended, it didn't really close things off for me. Even if he included a little thing at the end that said how the system all worked out it would have been fine but I guess no system will work forever so he kind of needed to write a another whole book.

Four stars for this book - one docked for the thing with David and the slowness of the beginning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Specials.

Quotes Laura Liked

Scott Westerfeld
“ I love you all. But it's time to say good-bye, for now.
be careful with the world, or the next time we meet, it might get ugly.
-Tally Youngblood”

Scott Westerfeld
“Having a brain hurt so much sometimes.”

Scott Westerfeld
“That Shay was in possesion of hand grenades was a comforting thought showed what kind of night this had become.”

Scott Westerfeld
“It didn't matter what you looked like. It was how you carried yourself, how you saw yourself.”

Scott Westerfeld
“I can pick up the city feeds on my antenna. It said they were going to change you all. Turn you into something less dangerous. Are you still...?"
She gazed at him. "What do you think, David?"
He peered into her eyes for a long moment, then sighed and shook his head. "You just look like Tally to me."
She looked down, her vision blurring.
What's the matter?"
Nothing, David." She shook her head. "You just took on five million years of evolution again."
I what? Did I say something wrong?"
No." She smiled. "You said something right.”

Scott Westerfeld
“Tally, do you ever suffer from sudden flashes of anger or euphoria, countersocial impulses, or feelings of superiority?”

“Listen, you bubblehead-up-until-five-minutes-ago...”

Scott Westerfeld
“It doesn't take much convincing to make someone believe they're better than everyone else.”

July 20, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
July 20, 2013 – Shelved
November 10, 2013 – Started Reading
November 11, 2013 –
page 10
2.6% "Just finished Pretties and starting on this book. It's interesting how Tally keeps advancing in her society's ranks: first Ugly, then Pretty, now Special. Which are the titles of the books coincedentially. Also how her intellengence or "iciness" keeps 'growing' but it's really just blinding her and putting her under the society's spell... or maybe the society is good? That's an interesting thought."
November 13, 2013 –
page 100
26.04% "I'm hit with a sudden sense of deja vu... This is resembling Pretties on a whole new level and it's getting really boring. I still have hope though!"
November 16, 2013 –
page 110
28.65% "This book is actually getting kind of hard to read. It's actually getting boring..."
November 25, 2013 – Finished Reading