Kaye's Reviews > To Sir Phillip, With Love

To Sir Phillip, With Love by Julia Quinn

bookshelves: historical-romance, books-read-in-2013, hist-19th-c-1830s-1899

I am absolutely in love with Quinn's Bridgerton series . . . but I will admit that I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as Romancing Mr. Bridgerton. And what I can pin that down to is that Eloise and Phillip didn't spend enough time together, so there were pages and pages of internal reflection that rehashed backstory and internal thoughts ad nauseum and brought the pacing of the story almost to a halt. There were many times when I found myself skimming---looking at the first sentence of a paragraph then skipping to the next trying to find the next place where there was dialogue between characters.

Also, it's very unfortunate that Phillip didn't work as well for me as a hero as the others in this series. I never really bought into the love that supposedly developed between E&P in this story. And the issue with the children's nurse was a bit too melodramatic to be completely believable.

However, that said, I still enjoyed the story because I do love Quinn's writing (when she isn't stuck inside the characters' heads) and the stories she spins. Looking forward to the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Sir Phillip, With Love.

July 20, 2013 – Started Reading