stormin's Reviews > Lexicon

Lexicon by Max Barry

M 50x66

bookshelves: sci-fi

Lexicon is by far one of the most original and well-thought out sci-fi thrillers that I have ever read. The premise is intriguing, thorough, and told with a really gripping story that combines fast-paced action with real emotional stakes.

There are two drawbacks for me, however. The first is that there was a lot of cursing and graphic depictions of sex. If that doesn't bother you, then you can disregard the warning. But for me (and a lot of the folks I know) this is going to be an issue. I will say that the depictions were not gratuitous, and for that reason I forged ahead, but I know a lot of my friends would want a warning. So: be warned.

The second is that I felt the resolution was something of a let down. It was just a little too simplistic and even sentimental, and in some important ways it didn't fit the beginning of the narrative.

However, with those two caveats out of the way, this book was incredibly engrossing. Some of the plot twists are easy to see coming, but quite a few of the bigger ones were very fresh and original and--rather than just mechanistically moving the plot forward--they really changed the perception of and relationship among the characters. Combined with the really artful exposition this book just felt exceptionally real, especially for a globe-traversing sci-fi conspiracy thriller.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lexicon.

Started Reading
July 7, 2013 – Finished Reading
July 20, 2013 – Shelved
July 20, 2013 – Shelved as: sci-fi

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Adam Donahue Graphic depictions of sex?

John What graphic depictions of sex were there in this book? I remember a couple of references to sexual acts that at worst could be described as mildly graphic. I'm not sure there was a sex scene actually in the book at all, and if there was, it certainly wasn't graphic. Also, anyone who would be bothered by the language in the book, or need to be warned about it probably needs to grow up.