Brenna's Reviews > The Liberator

The Liberator by Victoria Scott

bookshelves: favorite-series, loveable-jerk, series, ya, paranormal, romantic

Oh, Dante!Is that getting old yet?

I cannot deny my Dante love. Just can’t do it.

With that said, I’m confused about how I feel about this book. Was I completely blown away? Well… no. Was I disappointed? Hmm… not exactly. I still liked it, I still love Dante, it still made me laugh, but it just felt different than The Collector.
Today, they say I’m born again. That I have a second chance as a liberator. But let me tell you something…I’m no angel. Never have been, never will be. I’m just bad, baby.

Dante has gotten a second chance at life being an immortal, cuff wearing, soul collecting badass. Only, now it’s for the Big Guy upstairs rather than for Boss Man. He’s gotten his first assignment, to go to Denver and collect the soul of a seventeen-year-old bad girl. He’s pretty lost, doesn’t know his place, if he can do it, if he wants to do it. I actually liked seeing Dante have his inner good vs. evil battle, something very reminiscent of his struggle in the last book.

So, Aspen (his assignment) is basically Dante as a chick. I was really excited about Aspen because right away she calls him out on giving her his ”look” as he tries and instantly fails to seduce her into doing what he wants. I liked the prospect of a girl who can battle Dante’s arrogance and make me laugh while doing it. (view spoiler) It doesn’t take long to see that these two have some intense brother/sister-ly bond going on. Immediately it is explained that Dante has ZERO attraction toward her and only has eyes for Charlie. And boy does he love his Charlie.
“If I had a soul,” I say. “I’d give it to you.”
Charlie pulls me closer so that our lips almost touch. She lays a hand on my face, and her eyes swim with affection.
“You may not have my soul, Dante. But you will always have my heart.”
And then it’s over.
My life as I knew it is over.

Oh Dante, I almost felt bad for him. He’s just SO in love with Charlie. Poor guy, he’s a mess. He doesn’t like being away from her, he’s insecure, he’s obsessed, he’s terrified that something bad will happen to her. I really do love that he loves Charlie. I’m glad that was never in question, but at the same time it was a bit like beating a dead horse. Okay, okay, I get it. Really, I belieeeeeve you!
I’m new to this whole caring thing. I quickly realize that I’m not that good at it, that I’ve kind of skipped over affection and jumped right into Lifetime-movie-stalker.

There was a lot more action in this book, training, strategizing, impulsive “what the hell are you doing” decisions. I liked seeing Dante be a badass. He calls himself bad, but it was good for him to prove it a bit. He brought out the big guns and it showed. I’m really excited to see some epic battles in the next one (view spoiler).

My main complaint (besides Dante's over the top lovey dovey-ness with Charlie) was that some things weren’t explained as much as I would have liked. I wish we got to know more about Aspen, even if things weren’t crystal clear, (view spoiler) I wanted more. As this isn’t the last book in the series I know we’ll be learning more and more, but with a little more development here I think I would be questioning the sincerity or reason behind certain events a little less. (view spoiler)

As always, V. Scott made me giggle, snort, and laugh like a freakazoid. Dante is his usually cocky, ridiculous self, but he’s not ON and obnoxious 24/7. He does show restraint sometimes. And Max – geezus I love him!
Max is lying face down on the floor, his arms and legs curled like a dead spider.
“You’re not really hurt,” I say.
“I think… I think you gave me spina bifida. You need to call someone.”

”Lucille. It’s like Lucifer, but with a touch of femininity.”
I expect Max to laugh, but he doesn’t. Instead, he gets real serious and moves to the edge of his seat.
“Dante?”
“Yeah?”
“If I told you Lucille was easy, would you believe me?”
“I would.”

See, it’s just stupid. Who doesn’t love stupid funny moments that make you snort so hard it hurts? I feel like the humor is something I’ll always be able to count on with this series. I just lurrrve it! Keep ‘em coming with Dante #3!

3 1/2 stars
Rounding up cuz I have a weird obsession with Dante that is still fully intact. #OhDante

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Liberator.

July 20, 2013 – Shelved as: series
July 20, 2013 – Shelved as: ya
July 20, 2013 – Shelved as: paranormal
August 26, 2013 – Started Reading
August 26, 2013 –
0.0% "DANTE, OH DANTE... I found you at B&N early and you are all MINE tonight! ♥"
August 27, 2013 –
2.0% "#Danglage #OhDante"
August 28, 2013 –
18.0% "As the elevator creeps upward, she glances at me with passive interest. \n “What’s your name? And this time, why don’t you try answering instead of giving that stupid” —she waves her hand near my face— “look.” \n I nearly gasp. \n *snort* #OhDante"
August 29, 2013 –
33.0% "Say whaaaaat?"
August 30, 2013 –
57.0% "Heh... freakazoid. Glad to know I'm not the only one who still says that. ;)"
September 2, 2013 –
73.0% "Hashtag Lucille #Embracetherandom #OhDante"
96.0% "Ughhh! Fail."
September 2, 2013 – Shelved as: romantic
September 2, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Ash Wednesday The (view spoiler) felt like they came out of nowhere. And there was atleast another dead horse that was getting beaten up (view spoiler) that it started to make my eyes hurt. I was kinda wishing that THEY ARE (view spoiler) just to justify all that hammering or just shove everyone in the dreaded Love Triangle direction.

Brenna I know, when she says, (view spoiler)
The brother sister thing was definitely mentioned too much. I think it would have been okay if he just had an instinct to protect her or something but then for them both to say things like “You’re like my brother, Dante. I love you like a brother.” "She is my friend, the sister I never had. She is a piece of me." O.o (view spoiler) I would have been okay with some sexual tension even if it was never acted on. I wanted more banter with them instead of the sibling feels being verbalized so much. (view spoiler)

Brenna Lisa wrote: "Awesome review, Brenna!"

Thanks Lisa!! :)

Ash Wednesday Brenna wrote: "I know, when she says, [spoilers removed]

Lol I get paranoid with spoiler tagging things too. I was wondering how hard the fans of the series campaigned against the no love triangle thing. I didn't want it when I read the blurb for this one but the more it got hammered in the storyline here the more I wanted to say "know what? GIMME SOME OF DAT CRAZY"

Also I didn't think Aspen showed that much badness in her early in the story, did you? And towards the end, Dante's struggle between beng good or bad sort of fizzled out by giving way to all the Charlie mooning o.O

Brenna I was thinking the same thing, I didn't want one but done right I would have probably been okay with it. This even would have been okay if it wasn't so repetitive.

Agreed. (view spoiler)

Cynthia Yeah I didn't buy her willingness to (view spoiler)

But I loved Max in this one too! He's so funny.

message 7: by Ash Wednesday (last edited Sep 02, 2013 07:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ash Wednesday There was this one section (loc 3020 in kindle) where Dante says:

(view spoiler)

And I can imagine Max somewhere saying, "what am I, chopped liver?" O.O

I felt both (view spoiler) purpose in the book seem to overlap making each redundant of the other.

Brenna Yeah even if it is for the great good, how did happen to quickly....?

LOVE LOVE LOVE Max!!!!!

☆ Sammy ☆彡 Great review, Brenna :)

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda great review, brenna.

message 11: by AJ (new) - added it

AJ Fantastic review, Brenna! You made me snort at work with those quotes! Can't wait to read this. Oh Dante! (and no, that's not old yet)

Brenna Amanda wrote: "great review, brenna.

looking forward to catch up with Dante. i want to see what is so 'over the top' about his lovey-doveyness. Haha."

Thanks Amanda! It's not so much what he does that is over the top. It's just repetitive. Outwardly and in his head, over and over. I still love him but it was a little much :)

Brenna AJ wrote: "Fantastic review, Brenna! You made me snort at work with those quotes! Can't wait to read this. Oh Dante! (and no, that's not old yet)"

Score! I hope someone heard you snort... Hannah? :P I will be your VBR buddy for this :) #OhDante

message 14: by AJ (new) - added it

AJ Brenna wrote: "AJ wrote: "Fantastic review, Brenna! You made me snort at work with those quotes! Can't wait to read this. Oh Dante! (and no, that's not old yet)"

Score! I hope someone heard you snort... Hanna..."

There may or may not have been a raised eyebrow in my direction when I snorted at this... “I think… I think you gave me spina bifida"

And oh yeah for VBR!!

Brenna I was wondering if out of context those would be funny, but I just couldn't help myself. That one, imagining Max all curled up face down pretending to be hurt then saying that. I was dying!

message 16: by AJ (new) - added it

AJ LMAO!

message 17: by Steph (new)

Steph Amazing review :D

Brenna Thanks Steph! ♥

Brenna There's just something about Dante... ;) Thanks Vilda!