Erika Robuck's Reviews > The Illusion of Separateness

The Illusion of Separateness by Simon Van Booy

Imagine watching an artist begin painting on an empty canvas.

He starts on one of the lower corners with a dark shade that does not seem connected to the light on the top, the texture on the side, or the splash of vibrant color between the two. But slowly, as he works with meticulous brush strokes, the canvas becomes animated by the picture he creates. Those things that are not connected begin to show cohesion, and when he is finished, you can’t imagine any part of the painting existing on its own without the power it possesses as part of the whole.

This description applies to Simon Van Booy’s latest novel THE ILLUSION OF SEPARATENESS. The characters are rich and diverse, separated by age, time, culture, and geography. But like many divergent streams meeting in a river, their stories and longings, loves and losses find one another at different places on the trail.

Van Booy is fast becoming my favorite contemporary author. He has a gift for balancing language and story, and never sacrificing one for the other. The novel is short–just over 200 pages–but it must be read carefully and with reflection, and the reward is great.

If you enjoy literary fiction like that of A S Byatt or Ian McEwan, you will love THE ILLUSION OF SEPARATENESS. I highly recommend it and all of Van Booy’s novels and short stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Illusion of Separateness.

July 19, 2013 – Started Reading
July 19, 2013 – Shelved
July 27, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Arlene That is exactly how I felt reading this book. Like it was an artist painting on an empty canvas.

Erika Robuck I love that, Arlene.

message 3: by Fran (new)

Fran Your comment compels me to read this book.... thank you!

Erika Robuck Fran wrote: "Your comment compels me to read this book.... thank you!"

I'm so glad! Enjoy!