Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Open Season

Open Season by Linda Howard

liked it
bookshelves: adult, contemporary-romance, suspense-or-thriller

Tis' the (Open) Season.

There isn't much more to say than what this picture will cover because the word "condom" was used a couple dozen times in this book.

There were seventy-two condoms purchased in the production of this story.
Maybe she needed to warn Chief Russo to keep a close eye on aisle five at Clud's Pharmacy, because judging by the variety offered here, there were some hinky things going on in Hillsoboro.

No, hinky was not a typo. I swore it was kinky the first time I read it, which would have been even more appropriate.

You might want me to mention something other than the copious condom usage, perhaps?

My thoughts about the success of the story itself : Open Season was a fun little small-town romance. I was surprised that the subject of sexual trafficking ended up being shoved to the background, given the seriousness of the prologue. In all honesty, I would have preferred the author to have shown more about the girls in the story and what they were going through, instead of focusing so much on Daisy's small-town adventures.

This is my fourth Linda Howard book and while it was an entertaining read, it was not up to par with the last three books I read of hers, which were all on a four to four and a half star level (really, they were all fabulous). The story itself revolves around a woman discovering that she's ready to find a husband, so she gives herself a makeover and looks for men in all the wrong ways. The local sheriff is amused by this and playfully trails her to keep her out of trouble, where (as anyone would guess right away) sparks eventually fly. The suspense element is almost an afterthought, when Daisy ends up witnessing a murder and is dropped into the middle of finding out about an organized sexual slavery trade.

But really, I should have just stuck to my game plan of showing off a wall of condom quotes because that's about all I'm going to remember from Open Season. However, I should leave some element of mystery and not give too much of it away, so I'll only leave you with one more excerpt.
A peculiar expression crossed his face. "I'm not wearing the purple condom," he said, handing it back.
"It's grape."
"What's wrong with blue?"
"It would make you look...frozen."
"Trust me, it isn't frozen."
She took out a cherry, of a particularly violent shade of red, and shook her head.
"What's wrong with that one?"
"Nothing, if you want to look infected."
He flopped back on the bed and stared imploringly at the ceiling. "Isn't there a nice pink one in there? The bubble gum flavor?"
She rooted around in the box, but couldn't find anything that could possibly be bubble gum flavored. "I've been stiffed. There's no bubble gum in here."
"Swear out a warrant tomorrow," he said in growing desperation. "Try the watermelon."
Sure enough, the watermelon condom was green. Daisy gave him an appalled look. "Gangrene."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Open Season.

July 19, 2013 – Shelved
November 22, 2013 –
42.0% ""I can buy my own condoms, thank you."\n \n "You know what I mean! She thought they were for us, that we-"\n \n "We'd have to be like rabbits to use that many on our lunch hour. I don't think it's possible. How many are in there, six dozen or so? That's seventy two, so even if we had the entire hour, that means using one about every fifty seconds. That isn't the kind of record I want to set.""
Started Reading
November 23, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian I prefer the classics...

description

Stacia (the 2010 club) *snort* Charles Dickems.

Speaking of Dickens...it's about that time of year. I've kept saying that I'm going to to try to read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens for the past couple of Christmases. Maybe I'll get motivated this time.

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Now you've got me all curious. B/c my immediate thought was this: if condoms are mentioned so frequently, does that mean just as many sexy times? ;-)

message 4: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian Karma♥Bites ^.~ wrote: "if condoms are mentioned so frequently, does that mean just as many sexy times? ;-)"

Water fights!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Karma♥Bites ^.~ wrote: "Now you've got me all curious. B/c my immediate thought was this: if condoms are mentioned so frequently, does that mean just as many sexy times? ;-)"

Unfortunately, no. There were a couple of sex scenes, but the condom jokes were mostly leading up to the act itself.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) I heard the word 'hinky' used by RL people, but I think they were from the Midwest. O.o *snort*

Stacia (the 2010 club) People and their made up words.

message 8: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian Stacia (misses killing the hype) wrote: "People and their made up words."

Yeah...people who make up words are totally binky.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) It's in Merriam-Webster dictionary - http://i.word.com/idictionary/hinky

One South Dakota acquaintance introduced me to the word dinking; e.g. He spent the entire afternoon dinking around on the internet instead of preparing for his exams.

message 10: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian Oh that's interesting. Back in the day, the short wheel base Land Rover Defender was often referred to as "dinky" because it wasn't as good as the long wheel base Defender which was called "pinky".

I didn't know dinky was actually a word.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Dinky is used in the same way here. It can mean small, cheaply made, or inferior. e.g. I'd rather drive in Eco-friendly Toyota Prius than a dinky Smartcar.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I use dinky to mean small.

Karma♥Bites ^.~ Ian wrote: "Karma♥Bites ^.~ wrote: "if condoms are mentioned so frequently, does that mean just as many sexy times? ;-)"

Water fights!"

LOL... Condom balloon bombs bring back memories (one of an irate older bro ^.~). :)

@Stacia, nice review. Can't even remember if I read this LH (which doesn't say much) but if not, thanks for the head's up. Will reach the her other ones first. :)