Katy's Reviews > Exchange in Eichstätt

Exchange in Eichstätt by Melanie Surani

liked it

** spoiler alert ** This was a quick read, but it kept me reading all the way through, in one sitting. The story was good - some of it seemed a little far-fetched for being a story placed in the real world, but for the most part I did really like it. SPOILERS BELOW

I kinda wanted Marcus to be explored a little more - in the book he comes off as a one sided character whose entire motivation for kidnapping, torturing, and attempted rape is being fired. He was a really lecherous guy, but it seemed like an extreme reaction, in my opinion. Sometimes, not all the time, it just seemed like he was simply a plot device to get something to happen to Kat/Peter and there was no substance there.

I did like the development of Peter and Kat's relationship - and how it's not perfect, because nothing ever is. The ending of course led to some more questions but I assume there is more to come someday.

I also liked that there was the distinction between characters speaking German and those speaking English, using << >> for German. One thing that does bug me about books and movies is that people who have no need to speak English to each other still do so for the sake of the audience and while it works sometimes, it irks me just a little. It can take me out of the story.

The only other thing I would add is that the characters are pretty well fleshed out, but I would have liked a little more description of the locations. Especially in a place unfamiliar to many readers - just a bit more description than "the study room" or "the club". I'd have loved to have more of a sense of the place. But maybe that's just me.

In any case, I did enjoy the story and the continuing adventures of Kat Shergill. It was a great summer read, and if you like fast paced mystery-type novels in a modern setting you'd like it. It will make you want to go to Europe, however. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exchange in Eichstätt.

July 19, 2013 – Shelved