Sarah's Reviews > I'll Fly Away: Further Testimonies from the Women of York Prison

I'll Fly Away by Wally Lamb

Sep 24, 2007

Read in September, 2007

Several years ago, I read "Couldn't Keep It To Myself", the first collection of stories from Wally Lamb and the women of York Correctional Institution. I absolutely loved the book and my copy quickly became tattered as friend after friend read the book and shared my sense of awe. When I heard that a second compilation was being released, I couldn't wait to read it.

Like its predecessor, this book is a collection of stories written by a group of women who are part of a prison writing workshop led by Wally Lamb. The stories cover a number of topics from childhood memories to the experience of incarceration. I found each one to be emotionally honest and poignant. I am so impressed by the candor these women show in telling their stories, the courage they show in sharing their stories with the world, and the wisdom that they seem to gain through the thoughtful exploration and writing about aspects of their lives. I have a very deep respect and appreciation for these writers.

So many times in our society, we think of people who are incarcerated simply as their crime and forget about the complexities of the human experience. I wish that policy makers would read books like this one and begin to recognize the myriad circumstances that are part of many incarcerated women's experience: domestic violence, child abuse, molestation, drugs, mentally ill parents. Perhaps then we would be willing to take action to prevent these things from happening and to provide services to rehabilitate and support when they do. Thank you to Wally Lamb and the women of York.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Fly Away.

02/02/2017 marked as: read