Kara's Reviews > Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson

Manson by Jeff Guinn

Jan 28, 15

bookshelves: first-reads, 2013-notes, 2013
Read from July 24 to 29, 2013, read count: 2

I received a copy of this book through the GoodReads First Reads giveaway program. I was very excited to win an advance copy of this book, but for some reason (perhaps a review I read) I expected it to be very poorly written. I did not find this to be the case at all.

The most striking quality of this book was its tremendous readability; it proved a real page turner. I am a fan of true crime journalism, stories, etc., but I had no real interest in the Manson case beforehand. The author, Jeff Guinn, sure converted me quickly.

I very much appreciated the extensive context he provided concerning "Charlie's" background -- from childhood through his early prison sentences. I also noted that Mr. Guinn did a very good job of contextualizing his story in time and place very succinctly and usefully. He did not let the book's topic become the history of the times of Charles Manson, but inasmuch as those times were inextricable from the story, he presented them and put them in perspective for the reader.

This book exceeded my expectations and was well worth the time I spent reading it!
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manson.

William Marshall Great job reviewing this book you could do this for a career

Kara William wrote: "Great job reviewing this book you could do this for a career"
You made my day so far -- thanks for the compliment!