Patty's Reviews > When You Were Older

When You Were Older by Catherine Ryan Hyde

1020899
I never read Pay It Forward, but I always thought I knew the type of book it is. I assumed that it was an optimistic, romantic tale where even though there is pain, thing work out for everyone, I saw the movie, so I based my belief on that. Not wise, but that is the way it goes. I figured I would like the book, but there was no reason to read it since I had seen the movie.

So, when this book was available for free, I thought it would be worth trying. The plot seemed intriguing and it was the right price. My only concern, is that it seemed self-published. Maybe that should not be a concern, but it is for me.

Hyde does a good job with her tale. It starts in New York City on 9/11 and goes through the next four months. Russell Ammaninto has his entire life turned upside down by the events of September 11, 2001, and for him, it is very personal. Because his own life and 9/11 are so tied together for Russell, the reader is able to see historical events through new lenses.

My interest was held by the story and Hyde's ability to write. Although I found the novel to be a bit too tidy, I read to the end because Hyde made it easy to suspend my disbelief.

I recommend this book to people who were not so personally devastated by 9/11 as the main character, but like reading about overcoming impossible odds. Also readers who like optimistic stories will like Hyde's tale and so will anyone who believes that good things can come out if tragic events.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Were Older.

Started Reading