Joanna's Reviews > The Inner World of Farm Animals: Their Amazing Intellectual, Emotional and Social Capacities

The Inner World of Farm Animals by Amy Hatkoff

Aug 12, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in August, 2009

Absolutely phenomenal photographs abound. Intensely cute stories about adorable animals are scattered among the photographs. Among those are short narrative blurbs describing the results of various studies showing that these animals are smart, sociable, have feelings, learn, and are generally all around awesome. It's a powerful arguement for veganism, or at the very least "humanely raised" farm animals. I found myself wishing for more substance but I did enjoy this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inner World of Farm Animals.

07/25 marked as: read

message 1: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I am curious about what you will say in your review of this book! I was not able to read a teeny bit of it to see if I liked the text. Please mention if the writing was engaging or not. Thanks.

Joanna I'm about halfway through and it is very much skating the surface. The "analysis" component is pleasantly written but it's more like reading the blurb that a popular magazine would write about a more serious and longer work. There are twice as many cute stories, and they are very cute. (This little chicken loved that little chicken....) The only reason I am still glad I bought this book is the many photos, which are wonderful. It's very readable but for me there is not enough substance. Although with more substance I would likely complain about heavyhandedness or something. This book was absolutely written to appeal to as many people as possible and convince them to stop eating meat that is raised in feed lots.

message 3: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Sounds like I am like you - I want BOTH the cute stories and the scientific depth....... Hard to please! I am not going to buy it! Thank you very much. You know it is quite rare, but it is possible, to write a book with lots of substance in an engaging manner! Such books are the very, very rare. They are magnificent!

Lisa Vegan I understand completely what you mean about a lack of substance. However, this book is what it is and I think it's a great addition to the animal welfare movement. I've read plenty of books with more substance, but many readers will never, ever read those. This book is accessible, to older children as well as adults, and therefore is an indispensable resource, in my opinion. Great review though, Joanna.

Lisa Vegan Also, I have to say, the words of people who know the animals personally carry a lot of weight with me. I've been to a sanctuary and visited with some of these animals (including Lydia the turkey!) and find all what was said in the book to be valid.